Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum
Hogwarts Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapters 26-28: Down by the Cave, Up to the Tower, and the Flight of the Prince

4 posters

Go down

Chapters 26-28: Down by the Cave, Up to the Tower, and the Flight of the Prince Empty Chapters 26-28: Down by the Cave, Up to the Tower, and the Flight of the Prince

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-07-15, 10:07

Previously on Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Let us continue.

And so we follow Harry and Albus as they apparate next to the sea. They enter an ominous-looking cave, the very cave where, according to the Headmaster, the young Tom Riddle must have hidden one of his Horcruxes. They see a basin with glowing green liquid that must be drank in order to retrieve the locket. Dumbledore drank the liquid (with much help from Harry) but not without repercussions. Albus became weak and thirsty and Harry, wanting to help the Headmaster by giving the latter some water from the lake, disturbed the floating Inferi who in turn started going for Harry. Dumbledore recovered his mind and strength just in time to cast a fire spell to repel the horrible creatures.

Some points to ponder:

1. Don't you find the relationship between the Headmaster and the Hero truly admirable and one for the books? The level of trust and care between the two are just some of things that Rowling was able to highlight in this chapter. That while Albus demanded for Harry's complete confidence and obedience before going to the cave may be seen as a command coming from an authority figure, we can also see how Albus bringing Harry with him signals his confidence in Harry's capacity, and more importantly, Harry's right to come with him in this journey. Albus must have known the dangers that they will be up against yet he still invited Harry to tag along with him marks not just his respect for the young man but also his trust in Harry.

--If you were Albus,though, all 150 years of him, would you really allow a 16 year old boy to accompany you to the cave?

2. "I am not worried, Harry, I am with you." <<< This line from the Headmaster never fails to reduce me to tears. If you were Harry, how would you feel and what would you think upon hearing these words from Dumbledore?

More points to follow. . .
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Chapters 26-28: Down by the Cave, Up to the Tower, and the Flight of the Prince Empty Re: Chapters 26-28: Down by the Cave, Up to the Tower, and the Flight of the Prince

Post by siriuslystrange 2011-07-15, 15:49

-If you were Albus,though, all 150 years of him, would you really allow a 16 year old boy to accompany you to the cave?
Dumbledore knew he'll be gone soon and that he won't be able to help Harry (also tell Harry that he's one of the horcruxes) .. That's why I think Dumbledore let Harry tag along so that Harry can find out how a Horcrux really works -- how dangerous and evil it is -- and experience the consequences & fighting it firsthand.

"I am not worried, Harry, I am with you." <<< This line from the Headmaster never fails to reduce me to tears. If you were Harry, how would you feel and what would you think upon hearing these words from Dumbledore?
If I were Harry I'd think, "Are you kidding, Headmaster? You're like the Greatest Wizard Everrrr for me!1!!!" .. LOL. But yeah, that was a very touching moment indeed. <3
Chapters 26-28: Down by the Cave, Up to the Tower, and the Flight of the Prince Tumblr_lhwphx7XY61qdma11o1_500
siriuslystrange
siriuslystrange
Feasting in the Great Hall

Back to top Go down

Chapters 26-28: Down by the Cave, Up to the Tower, and the Flight of the Prince Empty Re: Chapters 26-28: Down by the Cave, Up to the Tower, and the Flight of the Prince

Post by loonyphy 2011-07-17, 00:11

If you were Albus,though, all 150 years of him, would you really allow a 16 year old boy to accompany you to the cave?

---Yes. After all, everything boils down to this 16 year-old boy. I believe that when Dumbledore decided to bring Harry to the cave, he intended “to train” Harry. To let him experience, for it is only in experience can one fully understand the task he gave. It is not that Dumbledore did not think of the grave consequences that could happen by bringing this boy, but then again, everything is a risk. Everything is a gamble. There is no assurance of what could happen and I guess at that moment, Dumbledore knew they could not afford not to try something that could defeat You-Know-Who. And besides, Dumbledore must have thought during then that there is really no other person who could understand how grave the situation is other than Harry. During that moment, they cannot afford to sit and wait 'till Harry grows older so he could be ready. After all, age is just a number. If we would compare Harry to other characters, Harry, despite his young age, has far more experience than any of them.

- As to the level of trust he gave to Harry, it was truly remarkable. Trust played a big role between the characters. Their relationship would have not developed the way it is if it weren't for trust. If I may be allowed to quote a line from the movie, HP 7.1, when Lupin and Kingsley Shacklebolt had a confrontation, as the latter checked the former if he was an impostor, Kingsley asked, "The last words Albus Dumbledore spoke to both of us.” Lupin answered, “Harry is the best hope we have. Trust him.” I believe this is essential in understanding the level of trust Dumbledore invested on Harry. Not only himself, but he wanted others to trust Harry as much as he did. I also think that why trust is so important to him is because apart from love, this is something the Lord Voldemort cannot comprehend. Something he was not capable of. Sure, he had his Death eaters around him, but definitely he trusted no one. Not even his most loyal follower a.k.a Bellatrix Lestrange. Love accompanied with trust had been Harry’s greatest weapon. (apart from knowledge, of course) Had the students of Hogwarts (the members of the DA and etc.) not trusted and believed that Harry can defeat Lord Voldemort; do you think Harry could find or at least know the diadem as a horcrux? or would they fight for him? Or Had Harry not trusted Ron and Hermione right from the very start; could he possibly be where he is? Definitely NO. For love and trust are indeed something inexplicable to Lord Voldemort, this led him to his downfall.

I am not worried, Harry, I am with you." <<< This line from the Headmaster never fails to reduce me to tears. If you were Harry, how would you feel and what would you think upon hearing these words from Dumbledore?

--If I were in Harry's shoes, definitely, I would feel very honored and privileged. Not everyone has the chance to have this kind of relationship with the GREAT ALBUS DUMBLEDORE. Although apart from feeling that, I would feel scared as well, for it's as if what happens to him is somehow my responsibility. I would be afraid of disappointing him and of course, I am very much afraid of not living up to his expectations. The pressure is sooo much higher than the Mt. Everest. :O
loonyphy
loonyphy
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-08-04, 20:58

And now we reach the Lightning-Struck Tower.

After apparating back and having an alarming communication with Rosmerta who directed their attention to the Dark Mark that was cast over Hogwarts, we witness the Headmaster showcasing whatever is left of his energy by outracing Harry (best Seeker at Hogwarts, beyond any doubt) on broomsticks and lifting the spell that would allow the both of them quick entry to the school. When they reach the tower, Albus immediately orders Harry to look for Snape and not Madam Pomfrey, but before Harry could leave, Harry suddenly finds himself petrified (using nonverbal spell) by Albus and herein commences the long conversation between the Headmaster and Draco Malfoy.

Some points to ponder:

1. Keeping in mind the unbreakable vow (see Chapter 2, Spinner's End discussion), did you think this was THE perfect moment for Snape to fulfill his end of the bargain? That in fact, this is the spinner's end, right this very moment at the tower, where Snape must do whatever is necessary.

2. Towards the end of the conversation, after Albus told Draco that the Order will protect the Malfoys if they wish to switch allegiance, we see Draco practically lowering his wand. Did you expect this act, this slight gesture from the Malfoy kid? Is he really incapable of murder? If Snape didn't arrive just in time to take over the task, do you think Draco would've let Albus live?

3. Finally, Avada Kedavra. Do you remember the first time you've read this part? How did you react initially? How many buckets of tears did you shed? Was it totally unexpected, the murder of the Headmaster? The murder of the Headmaster in the hands of somebody he claimed to have trusted?

Fire away!
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-08-05, 09:50

The Flight of the Prince.

Where we see the final confrontation between Harry Potter and Professor Severus Snape.

Some thoughts and questions:

1. Finally it is revealed who the Half-Blood Prince is. Snape makes the great revelation to Harry and accuses Harry of using his (Snape's) old Potions textbook. Imagine how Harry must've felt during this moment, the gamut of emotions he goes through: misery over the recent murder of his mentor Albus, frustration over his inability to stop Severus from leaving, anger also at Snape for the murder, disbelief that another person he cared for kicked the bucket, and now, surprise and incredulity for meeting the Half-Blood Prince himself. No wonder he had a difficult time performing any of the spells he aimed at Snape. Not to mention Harry was still having a difficult time with nonverbal spells. Did you really think Harry stood a chance against Snape? Against anyone for that matter, given his current emotional state?

2. Snape led the entire gang of Death Eaters toward the boundaries of the castle to disapparate out of Hogwarts. Where to, do you think? At the Malfoy Manor, perhaps? Imagine the welcome Snape and the Death Eaters would've received from the Dark Lord. Imagine the welcome Draco Malfoy got not just from his worried parents, but also from the Dark Lord himself. Do you think the Dark Lord expected Draco to fail? Do you think the Dark Lord knew about the Unbreakable Vow? How do you think Lord Voldemort would have reacted if he found out that his most trusted Death Eater assumed the task he gave to Draco?
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by dementedlouise 2011-08-25, 00:57

-Obviously, he is no match for Snape. A full grown well-experienced wizard VS a student?! Harry wouldn't stand a chance. Snape could crush him in one spell.

-I have no specific place in mind but I think he'll go wherever Lord Voldemort is.
-It was already mentioned that the Dark Lord expects Draco to fail. (a slow torture for Draco's parents)
-The unbreakable vow, I don't think Lord Voldemort knows about that but I don't think it's a big deal for him that his most trusted Death Eater assumed the task he gave to Draco. I'm sure he knew that. After all, there are witnesses (co Death eaters) who saw that it was Snape who killed Albus. I'm sure they have reported that, right after they finished the task. As to why, "who killed Dumbledore" issue doesn't really matter to Voldemort, perhaps, he was overwhelmed by the fact that DUMBLEDORE IS DEAD. Who cares who killed him? I think that time, what's important for him is DUMBLEDORE BEING DEAD. The only who he ever feared is dead--nothing is more satisfying that.

dementedlouise
Dodging Peeves' Water Balloons at the Entrance Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by loonyphy 2011-08-25, 14:13

1. Finally it is revealed who the Half-Blood Prince is. Snape makes the great revelation to Harry and accuses Harry of using his (Snape's) old Potions textbook. Imagine how Harry must've felt during this moment, the gamut of emotions he goes through: misery over the recent murder of his mentor Albus, frustration over his inability to stop Severus from leaving, anger also at Snape for the murder, disbelief that another person he cared for kicked the bucket, and now, surprise and incredulity for meeting the Half-Blood Prince himself. No wonder he had a difficult time performing any of the spells he aimed at Snape. Not to mention Harry was still having a difficult time with nonverbal spells. Did you really think Harry stood a chance against Snape? Against anyone for that matter, given his current emotional state?

- - Emotionally wrecked or not, Harry wouldn't stand a chance on Snape. I agree with dementedlouise, a full-grown wizard VS a student?! Snape could instantly crush him. Snape isn't a teacher for nothing.

loonyphy
loonyphy
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down