Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by severusa.snape on 2011-05-16, 00:09

Welcome to our Grand Online Book Discussion!
This month, we will be discussing the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Note:
* We have created a Bulletin Board where you can find discussion updates & announcements. If you have questions and suggestions, please feel free to post them HERE.
* Every weekend, a game will be provided where everyone are very much welcome to join.
* We encourage fun and healthy discussion. Foul and offensive languages/ opinions will not be tolerated. Respect is highly observed.

Thank you very much and we are looking forward to all your responses.


Discussion Leaders,
HG Severusa.Snape & HB Siyuske_Tryeth





avatar
severusa.snape
Head Girl

Posts : 1016
Join date : 2009-06-15
Location : Snape's Dungeon

http://www.blognijoan.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by severusa.snape on 2011-05-16, 00:22


They all celebrate the win but Harry is discouraged by Sirius’ growing moodiness. Letters arrive to announce that both Ron and Hermione have been made the Gryffindor fifth-year prefects. Harry has not and everybody is confused. Harry battles with conscience over his feelings about Ron being made a prefect over him.
Mrs. Weasley throws a party in honor of the new prefects, and many from the Order come to dinner. She walks upstairs to get rid of a boggart that's been hiding in the drawing room. Harry follows her, intending to go to bed, but bursts in when he hears sobbing. He's shocked to find Mrs. Weasley on the floor, distraught as the boggart keeps turning into to members of her family and Harry, all dead.


Questions:

1) What can you say about Harry’s initial negative reaction about Hermione and Ron becoming prefects?

2) If you were to encounter a Boggart, what would it turn into?





avatar
severusa.snape
Head Girl

Posts : 1016
Join date : 2009-06-15
Location : Snape's Dungeon

http://www.blognijoan.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by DADAProfAE on 2011-05-16, 11:30

1) What can you say about Harry’s initial negative reaction about Hermione and Ron becoming prefects?

Very normal not just for a teenage kid but for any human being. One of the great things about JKR is her ability to lay bare in her writing the psyche of a person, specifically that of somebody like Harry, an adolescent hero in progress. Harry is our hero but he is far from perfect. Like all of us he exhibits human traits like jealousy, anger, frustration, etc. I'm quite positive I would've felt and reacted the same way. I'd be happy for my friends, naturally, but deep inside I'd be suffering from fits of questioning, suspcion, doubt and yes, jealousy.



2) If you were to encounter a Boggart, what would it turn into?

Same as Molly's, I guess.
avatar
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Posts : 1656
Join date : 2009-06-13
Location : the TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by kimlinheung on 2011-05-16, 12:40

1) What can you say about Harry’s initial negative reaction about Hermione and Ron becoming prefects?

It's normal. I actually got a bit hurt too when I first read this. Hurt and confused. As a kid, I feel that it was unfair but knowing how JK Rowling writes, I know that there's a reason behind everything.

2) If you were to encounter a Boggart, what would it turn into
Right now, a failing grade or I won't be able to graduate. I don't want to see my parents look at me with disappointment.
avatar
kimlinheung
Settling Into the Dormitories

Posts : 106
Join date : 2009-07-05
Location : Kim Jaejoong's heart

http://flavors.me/kimlinheung

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by mitchie08 on 2011-05-16, 12:57

1) What can you say about Harry’s initial negative reaction about Hermione and Ron becoming prefects?

It's just normal to a person to have negative reactions. Maybe Harry has a very deep reason why he's reacted negatively to his best friends. Joanne Rowling made this scene creatively. I guess she wants to tell something to us people. Everyone can be disappointed to others, even to your best friend. Even to your girlfriend/boyfriend.


2) If you were to encounter a Boggart, what would it turn into?

A total disappointment for me, I'll experience a lot of struggles that may cause to have a failing grade or even won't be able to graduate like what kimlingheung said. It's killing me to see my parents very disappointed at me.
avatar
mitchie08
Lost in the castle hallways

Posts : 456
Join date : 2011-01-03
Location : Godric's Hollow

http://www.facebook.com/mitchiepotter08

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by lianne on 2011-05-18, 08:18

OMGodric! I thought this chapter's really intense. O_O
I remember being on tenterhooks when I first read this.

Question 1:
Think what you will but I can tell you that I would definitely have felt/reacted the same way as Harry did when Hermione and Ron became prefects. I'd be happy for them but I'd also be extreme jealous; perhaps even questioning the appropriateness of the appointment/s. It's what I'd call pride and vanity. Thinking you're better than some people.

And I think, when Harry realized this, he just felt more conflicted. He started to feel self doubt and cut off from his friends. Which wasn't really the best place for him at the time.

Can I just say, this is also a good opportunity to look not only into Harry's character but Ron's as well. What did you guys think of how Ron immediately picked up on Harry's mood? Wasn't he spot on in reading Harry? He sounded sincere enough when he told Harry that he thought he'd get the post. Did he think so little of himself and his abilities or do you think maybe he placed Harry in too high a pedestal?

His reaching out to Harry like that really melted my heart. Aww...

Another thing, this might be preempting discussion later but just in case I forget:
Spoiler:
I hated Dumbledore (sorry fans) for reducing Ron's triumph somewhat by telling Harry later on that the reason he didn't give Harry the post was because he thought he already had too much on his plate. Sad

Question 2:

Now this is where I was biting my nails to the bone!
The first 'dead' boggart Harry saw was Ron so I was all AAAAHHHHHH!!!
JK! ARE YOU ****-ing FORESHADOWING THE DEATH OF RON?! Sad
WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!

This scene was really intense and I so wanted to hug Mrs. Weasley to comfort her.

avatar
lianne
Admissions and Alumni Officer

Posts : 1120
Join date : 2009-06-14
Location : Tartarus

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by DADAProfAE on 2011-05-18, 17:35

[quote="lianne"][color=green]
Another thing, this might be preempting discussion later but just in case I forget:
Spoiler:
I hated Dumbledore (sorry fans) for reducing Ron's triumph somewhat by telling Harry later on that the reason he didn't give Harry the post was because he thought he already had too much on his plate. Sad

For me it was the opposite. I thought it was endearing, that revelation coming from the Headmaster. It was vindication on Harry's part, that yeah, despite all his doubts during the start of the new school year, he apparently was also considered to take the position by the man he most admired; that he was, all things beings equal, actually worthy to be Prefect. Perhaps not just worthy but worthier (grades-wise, leadership-wise, even general comportment-wise) than Ron. Ron's immediate reaction to his Prefect-ship illustrates this fact; that he himself recognizes the fact that he's second fiddle to the boy who lived. It would be more irritating for me had Dumbledore kept that fact to himself and not reveal the truth. That moment came when Albus was admitting to Harry his weakness when it comes to Harry. And to choose not to give Harry that Prefect-ship is part of that admission of weakness. That moment revealed a very human Dumbledore.
avatar
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Posts : 1656
Join date : 2009-06-13
Location : the TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by lianne on 2011-05-19, 01:10

DADAProfAE wrote:
lianne wrote:
Another thing, this might be preempting discussion later but just in case I forget:
Spoiler:
I hated Dumbledore (sorry fans) for reducing Ron's triumph somewhat by telling Harry later on that the reason he didn't give Harry the post was because he thought he already had too much on his plate. Sad

For me it was the opposite. I thought it was endearing, that revelation coming from the Headmaster. It was vindication on Harry's part, that yeah, despite all his doubts during the start of the new school year, he apparently was also considered to take the position by the man he most admired; that he was, all things beings equal, actually worthy to be Prefect. Perhaps not just worthy but worthier (grades-wise, leadership-wise, even general comportment-wise) than Ron. Ron's immediate reaction to his Prefect-ship illustrates this fact; that he himself recognizes the fact that he's second fiddle to the boy who lived. It would be more irritating for me had Dumbledore kept that fact to himself and not reveal the truth. That moment came when Albus was admitting to Harry his weakness when it comes to Harry. And to choose not to give Harry that Prefect-ship is part of that admission of weakness. That moment revealed a very human Dumbledore.

I wish he at least gave some other reason for choosing Ron. I'd like to think that Dumbledore looked out for the development of other students other than Harry. That he was also looking at the potential of students like Ron not relative to Harry's growth as a person or as a character. But I guess some things had to be sacrificed. The series is after all about Harry's journey.

avatar
lianne
Admissions and Alumni Officer

Posts : 1120
Join date : 2009-06-14
Location : Tartarus

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by ilovedraco on 2011-05-19, 23:36

severusa.snape wrote:

They all celebrate the win but Harry is discouraged by Sirius’ growing moodiness. Letters arrive to announce that both Ron and Hermione have been made the Gryffindor fifth-year prefects. Harry has not and everybody is confused. Harry battles with conscience over his feelings about Ron being made a prefect over him.
Mrs. Weasley throws a party in honor of the new prefects, and many from the Order come to dinner. She walks upstairs to get rid of a boggart that's been hiding in the drawing room. Harry follows her, intending to go to bed, but bursts in when he hears sobbing. He's shocked to find Mrs. Weasley on the floor, distraught as the boggart keeps turning into to members of her family and Harry, all dead.


Questions:

1) What can you say about Harry’s initial negative reaction about Hermione and Ron becoming prefects?

He's being jealous for me. I know he wanted to be a prefect but it's for his own good. He reckons Ron doesn't deserve to be a prefect. Harry says he deserved to be a prefect because he know all of the happenings at the Wizarding World. He feels he's the sign.

2) If you were to encounter a Boggart, what would it turn into?

A slimy worm (yuck!). The freakiest thing I've ever known...



avatar
ilovedraco
Feasting in the Great Hall

Posts : 84
Join date : 2011-05-16
Location : Camp Half-Blood in Cabin #8

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by MIASelene on 2011-05-20, 00:14

severusa.snape wrote:1) What can you say about Harry’s initial negative reaction about Hermione and Ron becoming prefects?

It is normal to feel strings of jealousy every once in a while and Harry, being a teen, is not immune to this negative feeling. But I do have a single nagging thought to this.

The thing is, could it be possible that because Harry has grown accustomed to being the one in the limelight, the one everyone thinks as the "Choosen One", he has automatically assumed that he will get the Prefect position? After all, he became the youngest seeker in his first year, became a hero of Hogwarts in his second year, a Triwizard Champ in his fourth, so why not a Prefect? If this were the case, then I would have to say he was not only jealous but also exhibiting a mild case of swelled-headedness due to his being a celebrity and all.

severusa.snape wrote:2) If you were to encounter a Boggart, what would it turn into?

My own Mirror of Erised.



avatar
MIASelene
Apprentice to Monsieur Malkin

Posts : 619
Join date : 2009-06-24
Location : in between worlds

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by DADAProfAE on 2011-05-20, 09:43

MIASelene wrote:

It is normal to feel strings of jealousy every once in a while and Harry, being a teen, is not immune to this negative feeling. But I do have a single nagging thought to this.

The thing is, could it be possible that because Harry has grown accustomed to being the one in the limelight, the one everyone thinks as the "Choosen One", he has automatically assumed that he will get the Prefect position? After all, he became the youngest seeker in his first year, became a hero of Hogwarts in his second year, a Triwizard Champ in his fourth, so why not a Prefect? If this were the case, then I would have to say he was not only jealous but also exhibiting a mild case of swelled-headedness due to his being a celebrity and all.

Interesting point! Expectations of grandeur ang drama ni Harry, hahahaha! It's highly probable, indeed, that Harry's expectations were bolstered by his heroics in the previous years. Keeping in mind Harry's litany in an earlier chapter: "who saved the Sorcerer's Stone? Me! Who killed the basilisk? Me! Who saved Hermione from the dementors? Me! Who battled dragons and other creatures last year? Me! Who saw Voldemort come back? Me? Who saw Cedric die? MEEEEEEEE!!!!" -----I've taken liberties, my apologies. I try to steer clear from making it in all CAPS Very Happy Point is, Harry, whether he admits to it or not, whether he likes it or not, has been primed by previous events to be the Harry that he is now---the boy who reckons Smile Not only Harry, but we readers are also primed to make the same expectations. In terms of preparation, who among the 5th year boys really do have the chops to keep his peers' toes in line? We've never seen the other boys' heroics save for Neville from the first book (very mild show of heroics compared with Harry) and of course, Ron who, because of the demands of the narrative is second only to Harry in terms of, well, practically everything (save for sense of humour I suppose).
avatar
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Posts : 1656
Join date : 2009-06-13
Location : the TARDIS

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by gen_excelciosempra on 2011-05-29, 04:47

1. i think its normal for harry to be jealous but dumbledore has better plans with him like using him as instrument of truth for spreading the return of the dark lord...

2. nahhh, i don't want to see FAILING GRADES then i'll see myself dead as an auror trying to fight VOLDY. Very Happy
avatar
gen_excelciosempra
Feasting in the Great Hall

Posts : 78
Join date : 2011-05-28
Location : Hogwarts Castle,Hogsmeade

Back to top Go down

Re: Chapter 9: The Woes of Mrs Weasley

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum