Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum
Hogwarts Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapters 3-8: Harry Returns to Hogwarts

5 posters

Go down

Chapters 3-8:  Harry Returns to Hogwarts Empty Chapters 3-8: Harry Returns to Hogwarts

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-06-10, 14:27

I will try to compress 6 chapters into one big discussion, if you don't mind. Let's pick up the highlights from the moment Harry leaves the Dursleys' house (Chapter 3: Will and Won't), to him meeting a new Hogwarts Professor (Chapter 4: Horace Slughorn), to spending summer with the Weasleys (Chapter 5: An Excess of Phlegm), to his last innocent foray over at Diagon Alley (Chapter 5: Draco's Detour), to boarding the Hogwarts Express (Chapter 7: The Slug Club) and finally, to him returning to Hogwarts as a 6th year student (Chapter 8: Snape Victorious).

-----
So while we readers stew over what the real deal is with Snape and his Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa Malfoy, we are finally back at Privet Drive, seeing his mentor Albus Dumbledore talk face to face with the Dursleys for the first time.

Were you surprised when Dumbledore himself picked up Harry from the Dursleys?

When Dumbledore was talking to the Dursleys about the latter allowing Harry to stay with them one last time, what tone did you sense in his voice? Was it simply a tone of censure? Was it ominous? Was he angry? Or was he merely stating a fact?

As mentor and hero finally "step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure", did you expect the adventure to be as simple as meeting and enticing Hograce Slughorn to go back to Hogwarts to teach? What were your initial impressions of Slughorn?

Dumbledore obviously decided to use Harry as some sort of trap to tempt Slughorn to go back to Hogwarts. What does this tell you about Albus and his cunning ways?

Back at the Burrows, Harry is reunited with the Weasleys where we see the poor dynamic between Fleur and her future mother-in-law, Molly. We also see in this chapter the results of the OWLs from the previous school year.

Harry's scores:

Astronomy A
Care of Magical Creatures E
Charms E
Defense Against the Dark Arts O
Divination P
Herbology E
History of Magic D
Potions E
Transfiguration E

Did you expect those grades for Harry? If it were you, what courses do you think you would have aced easily, and what courses would you have failed miserably?

In the next chapter, we see the trio visiting the very successful store of the Weasley twins over at Diagon Alley. Of the many items they are selling, which ones would you love to purchase?

As to be expected, Harry was quick to judge Draco when the former saw the latter at Borgin and Burkes. Did you presume Harry's judgment was right on the mark (that Draco was up to no good, yet again) given the Unbreakable Vow in Chapter 2, or did you think Harry's perception was merely colored by his long-standing bias against Draco?

Onboard the Hogwarts Express, we see Harry still unable to let go of his Draco theories (even his two friends were wary of his guesswork). Typical Harry, he decides to eavesdrop on Draco and his Slytherin pals with the help of his Dad's trusty old Invisibility Cloak. When Harry was petrified and left alone by Draco, it was thanks to the merest chance of having Tonks in the area that saved him from a long journey back to London.

What did Harry gain from that encounter with his arch-nemesis? Was it worth all the trouble? Was it unnecessary?

Finally, Harry is back within the safe confines of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry and Tonks were met at the gates by Snape himself who chided Tonks about her choice of new Patronus.He said, "I think you were better off with the old one. . . . the new one looks weak."

What were your thoughts about Tonks' new Patronus? Back when you first read this part, what were your guesses?

We are also finally introduced to the new staff, including the new Potions master, Prof. Slughorn. That means, the new DADAProf is none other than, tadaaaa, Professor Severus Snape. Yes, Snape got what he's always wanted. Did the staff reshuffling surprise you? Did it bother you? Did you really think Snape's going to be gone by the end of the year as a result of the so-called DADA curse?

Fire away!
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Chapters 3-8:  Harry Returns to Hogwarts Empty Re: Chapters 3-8: Harry Returns to Hogwarts

Post by tanglewood14 2011-06-14, 22:45

I was, because I thought that Dumbledore would be too busy to do that kind of thing. Then again, Dumbledore's a smart man, so anything he does is a means to a further end.

When Dumbledore was talking to the Dursleys about the latter allowing Harry to stay with them one last time, what tone did you sense in his voice? Was it simply a tone of censure? Was it ominous? Was he angry? Or was he merely stating a fact?

I think Dumbledore stated it in matter-of-factly, and maybe even a little bit sternly (inferring from the Dursleys's reaction).

As mentor and hero finally "step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure", did you expect the adventure to be as simple as meeting and enticing Hograce Slughorn to go back to Hogwarts to teach? What were your initial impressions of Slughorn?

I didn't expect their adventure to be meet and entice Horace Slughorn. As for first impressions, I found Slughorn to be that kind of person who took unnecessary pride in being associated with famous people.

Dumbledore obviously decided to use Harry as some sort of trap to tempt Slughorn to go back to Hogwarts. What does this tell you about Albus and his cunning ways?

This tells us that Albus would do just about anything to take down Voldemort once and for all, even using Harry as a trap, like he's some means to an end, which, using Kantian ethics (i.e. never treat a person as means but always as an end), is actually unethical.

Did you expect those grades for Harry? If it were you, what courses do you think you would have aced easily, and what courses would you have failed miserably?

Though Harry may be a smart boy, he just doesn't apply himself to the academics as much as, say Hermione does. His grade in Divination (P) was to be expected since he didn't really like the subject and didn't take it seriously.

If it were me, I would probably ace Charms and DADA. I'm not a fan of Astronomy, but I would probably do okay in that class. And I was never great in Chem class so I'd probably do poor in Potions class (and with Snape as the prof!)

In the next chapter, we see the trio visiting the very successful store of the Weasley twins over at Diagon Alley. Of the many items they are selling, which ones would you love to purchase?

I probably - if I had enough Galleons - would have taken a handful of anything I can grab.

As to be expected, Harry was quick to judge Draco when the former saw the latter at Borgin and Burkes. Did you presume Harry's judgment was right on the mark (that Draco was up to no good, yet again) given the Unbreakable Vow in Chapter 2, or did you think Harry's perception was merely colored by his long-standing bias against Draco?

Upon first reading the book, I thought that Harry's conclusions were all merely drawn from his bias against Draco. I even remember rolling my eyes, thinking, "Harry, not again." I did think that Draco was a pawn, but I didn't think he'd be a Death Eater just yet.

What did Harry gain from that encounter with his arch-nemesis? Was it worth all the trouble? Was it unnecessary?

Harry didn't gain much from his encounters, but we readers did by getting a glimpse of foreshadowing.
tanglewood14
tanglewood14
Settling Into the Dormitories

http://pviron.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Chapters 3-8:  Harry Returns to Hogwarts Empty Re: Chapters 3-8: Harry Returns to Hogwarts

Post by AmandaBlue 2011-06-16, 23:57

DADAProfAE wrote:
Harry's scores:

Astronomy A
Charms E
Divination P
Herbology E
History of Magic D
Potions E
Transfiguration E

tanglewood14 wrote:Though Harry may be a smart boy, he just doesn't apply himself to the academics as much as, say Hermione does. His grade in Divination (P) was to be expected since he didn't really like the subject and didn't take it seriously.

I agree. Harry didn't really spend much time studying as Hermione did. Harry wanted to be an Auror and I think he focused more on subjects he needed for this career. You know that mentality most students have when studying for minor subjects in college, "I won't focus on this much coz it's not as important for my career." Harry probably had that.

DADAProfAE wrote:What were your thoughts about Tonks' new Patronus?

When I first read this part, I honestly didn't care much for her Patronus. Then we found out she was inlove with Lupin and I looked back and it does make sense. She was inlove, and I think it's more of a testimony of much inlove she was with Lupin. In times when all her wost memories are forced unto her by Dementors, the idea of Lupin saves her. Personally, I could sort of relate.

(I'll contemplate on the other questions and try to participate more in the days)
AmandaBlue
AmandaBlue
Being Interrogated About Bezoars

https://www.facebook.com/amandablueRN

Back to top Go down

Post by loonyphy 2011-07-10, 00:29

--In a way, YES because I believe this is the first time that Harry's being picked by THE ALBUS DUMBLEDORE-which means something crucial or something big's happening. Harry could have been picked up by the Aurors such as what happened Book 5, yet it was Dumbledore who picked him up. Definitely it involves something crucial or big.

--I think it was more of an order rather than simply asking them to let Harry stay.

-- Not really the "meet and entice" adventure. I kind-of expected that the adventure would involve a little but not too much action.
--My initial impressions of Slughorn--He's the type of person who wants to stay on the safe side rather than involve in "confrontation".

-- Once again, this shows how smart he is. He knows how to turn a person's strength into his weakness and vice-versa too. He's definitely someone you cannot fool easily and this scenario tells us that he gets what he wants or he intends to make his plans work by gathering people not in a coercive way-such as what Voldemort and his DEs do.

Back at the Burrows, Harry is reunited with the Weasleys where we see the poor dynamic between Fleur and her future mother-in-law, Molly. We also see in this chapter the results of the OWLs from the previous school year.

Harry's scores:

Astronomy A
Charms E
Divination P
Herbology E
History of Magic D
Potions E
Transfiguration E

--I think Harry's grades were fair enough except POTIONS wherein he got an E. Considering how Snape always described Harry's work since the beginning, I'm actually impressed or rather shocked that he even passed that course/subject.
--If it were me, I think I would have aced History of Magic, DADA, and Astronomy. I would be average or above average in Charms, Transfiguration, Divination and Potions.
--I think I would miserably fail Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures. I’ll never be fond of animals, plants and stuff except for Flowers. :-)

--I'd buy anything fancy and cute such as Pygmy Puff  and maybe once in a while or when circumstances call for, I’ll buy explosives there. :-P
--I think Harry was right given the Unbreakable Vow. In that chapter, we were already given the idea that there’s a task for Draco and he MUST do it. Seeing Draco at Borgin and Burkes is highly unusual since if we could all remember in Book 2, his father brought him there but would not let him touch anything, how much more him going there and dealing with Mr. Borgin?

Onboard the Hogwarts Express, we see Harry still unable to let go of his Draco theories (even his two friends were wary of his guesswork). Typical Harry, he decides to eavesdrop on Draco and his Slytherin pals with the help of his Dad's trusty old Invisibility Cloak. When Harry was petrified and left alone by Draco, it was thanks to the merest chance of having Tonks in the area that saved him from a long journey back to London. What did Harry gain from that encounter with his arch-nemesis? Was it worth all the trouble? Was it unnecessary?
--Was it worth the trouble? I don’t think so. He still did not find out what he wanted. What is necessary? I believe it is, for one must investigate to find out what one wants to know, such as what Harry did. It seems foolish to sneak around like that but I think there is no safer way to know what Draco is up to than do what Harry did.
Finally, Harry is back within the safe confines of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry and Tonks were met at the gates by Snape himself who chided Tonks about her choice of new Patronus.He said, "I think you were better off with the old one. . . . the new one looks weak."
What were your thoughts about Tonks' new Patronus? Back when you first read this part, what were your guesses?
 I have no idea why her Patronus changed :O but I firmly believed that something must have happened. I didn’t give in much thought on that, for I am really after the trio’s journey. 

We are also finally introduced to the new staff, including the new Potions master, Prof. Slughorn. That means, the new DADAProf is none other than, tadaaaa, Professor Severus Snape. Yes, Snape got what he's always wanted. Did the staff reshuffling surprise you? Did it bother you? Did you really think Snape's going to be gone by the end of the year as a result of the so-called DADA curse?

 Yes, I was kinda surprised since never did once cross in my mind that Dumbledore would want Snape again to be “actively” involved in Dark Arts and stuff.
loonyphy
loonyphy
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by loonyphy 2011-07-10, 00:33

Correction:

Harry could have been picked up by the Aurors such as what happened IN Book 5, yet it was Dumbledore who picked him up. Definitely it involves something crucial or big.

loonyphy
loonyphy

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne 2011-07-10, 00:44

loonyphy wrote:Correction:

Harry could have been picked up by the Aurors such as what happened IN Book 5, yet it was Dumbledore who picked him up. Definitely it involves something crucial or big.

Dear, I do believe there's an edit function which you can use if you want to add to your first post. Try to avoid double posts next time. Thanks. Wink

But on to your answers...you said that Dumbledore taking Harry with him to Slughorn's showed how smart and resourceful he is (was). But how do you feel about that? Don't you think that while it wasn't Voldemort's way, it was a bit manipulative?

Chapters 3-8:  Harry Returns to Hogwarts 909172
lianne
lianne
Admissions and Alumni Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by loonyphy 2011-07-10, 01:11

Sorry :-( I'll do that next time. It's just that I am not fully familiar yet with how this system works :-O

Well I don't think that's being "manipulative" in a sense for in the end and what's really more important is, Prof. Dumbledore still let him decide. He gave Slughorn the freedom to choose whether he wants to teach again or not. What Dumbledore did was "maximize the resources he has" which I think is not a way of manipulation. It's not his fault that the "resource" that he has is simply Slughorn's weakness. Prof. Slughorn was very vulnerable to such offers and he actually fell for that "enticement" mission. It was due to Prof. Slughorn's own weakness. I believe it's a matter of self control and standing firm on your decision. If Prof. Slughorn did stand by his decision not to teach again and let not his "addiction or obsession (I dunno a better word for it-correct me if I'm wrong) of collecting famous people" gets in his way, then he would not really teach at Hogwarts.
loonyphy
loonyphy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down