Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum
Hogwarts Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GoF Part 1 - Let the games begin!

4 posters

Go down

GoF Part 1 - Let the games begin! Empty GoF Part 1 - Let the games begin!

Post by buttered_toast 2011-04-17, 20:49

Having saved the Sorcerer's Stone, battled a Basilisk and freed a wanted man, our favorite protagonist finally gets to have some well deserved Harry-time. But of course, evil continues to lurk and scheme well into our plot. So best we bring out our wands and rejoin Harry through his next great adventure.

We'll be needing your thinking juices to get us going! The best answer will win much coveted points and the admiration of your peers (yes, amazing!).

In addition, we're throwing in a little Toffee Candy to sweeten the deal. There are little bonus questions throughout Wink Note, that this is optional Very Happy

But first, let's get back up to speed, shall we? Accio synopsis!
(Much thanks to the lovely people at HP-Lexicon.)

Chapter 1 - The Riddle House
In which we learn of the mysterious murders in the Riddle House fifty years ago, how Frank Bryce was accused but released for lack of evidence, and how the Riddle House fell into disrepair. In the present, Frank interrupts a sinister meeting and is killed when he overhears Voldemort's plans.

Chapter 2 - The Scar
In which Harry awakens from a bad dream, his scar burning, we recap Harry's previous adventures, and he writes a letter to his godfather.

Chapter 3 - The Invitation
In which Dudley and the rest of the Dursleys are on a diet, and the Dursleys get letter from Mrs. Weasley inviting Harry to stay with her family and attend the World Quidditch Cup finals.

Chapter 4 - Back to the Burrow
In which Harry awaits the arrival of the Weasleys, who come by Floo Powder and get trapped in the blocked-off fireplace, blast it open, send Fred and George after Harry's trunk, then Floo back to the Burrow. Just as Harry is about to leave, Dudley eats a magical toffee dropped by Fred and grows a huge purple tongue. Harry Floos away to leave Mr Weasley to sort it out as Uncle Vernon starts throwing ornaments.

Chapter 5 - Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes
In which the Weasleys return home, Fred and George are reprimanded by Mr and Mrs Weasley for giving Dudley the toffee, we learn more about the Weasley clan, and they have dinner in the garden.

Chapter 6 - The Portkey
In which Apparation is discussed, Fred and George are caught with toffees, and everyone sets off via Portkey for the World Cup site.

Chapter 7 - Bagman and Crouch
In which they arrive at the campsite, erect their tent, tour the camp, meet Ludo Bagman (with whom Fred and George bet on the match), and excitement rises as game time draws near.

Chapter 8 - The Quidditch World Cup
In which the spectators take their seats, Harry meets Winky (house elf for Barty Crouch), the Malfoys, and Mr. Oblansk (the Bulgarian Minister for Magic). The pre-game show features the Bulgarian and Irish team mascots, followed by the introductions of the teams, and the game begins. Ireland takes an early lead and eventually wins despite repeated Bulgarian fouls and Krum catching the snitch. Fred and George win their bet with Bagman.

-----------

Thoughts to Ponder On! (I’m using the American edition)

1. “Come, Wormtail, one more death and our path to Harry Potter is clear. I am not asking you to do it alone. By that time, my faithful servant would have rejoined us-” –Voldemort (p10)

While we can speculate that perhaps Voldemort was referring to finally getting even with Dumbledore, this only happened in the 6th book. There was an entirely different I’ll-get-you-Harry plot in the fourth book. So, who do you think was supposed to be murdered? Was it all a foiled plot?

TOFFEE POINTS! Help Nagini snake her way out of this Riddle. First one to send me a PM with the attached correct image wins!!! Go here for the maze: http://www.krazydad.com/mazes/sfiles/KD_Mazes_IM_v1.pdf
(I suggest you use the Paint application so it’s easier to just send the photo.)

2. Considering our wider knowledge of spells now that we've finished the 7th book, do you think proper measures were taken to control unwanted Muggles during the World Cup? Were Obliviating and I-think-I-left-the-tap-running charms enough?

3. One evening, Harry and Ron were watching the telly when an interesting bit about a dark horse Quidditch team hit the news. It appears that the Philippine team was making waves in Asia, combating higher ranked teams and placing in the regional cup. The group was so mysterious that the news crew couldn’t even get their official team name.

Curious, Harry sends you (his oh-so-lucky Filipino friend) an owl, asking for the team’s name. Be so kind as to tell him our team name and the significance of that name in our culture.

EXTRA TOFFEE POINTS! Make a catchy cheer for the Philippine Quidditch Team. Even more points if you can direct us to your YouTube video of this performance ☺️ woohooo!!!

buttered_toast
buttered_toast
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

GoF Part 1 - Let the games begin! Empty Re: GoF Part 1 - Let the games begin!

Post by mhinemuzika 2011-04-17, 23:03

where am i gong to send the photo?? in here or in email??
mhinemuzika
mhinemuzika
Just got off the Hogwarts Express

Back to top Go down

Post by jerrichor 2011-04-17, 23:31

mhinemuzika wrote:where am i gong to send the photo?? in here or in email??

Hi Christopher! The instructions say that you should send a PM (private message) to Prefect buttered_toast... I hope that clears things up...

@Prefect Kitkat: Just a question... Which of the mazes should the participants answer? I think there are 20 mazes in the linked pdf...

Rock on, everyone, for GoF!

jerrichor
jerrichor
Gryffindor Prefect

http://www.plurk.com/jerrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by buttered_toast 2011-04-18, 03:00

^
^

Oops, thanks for the clarification Echo! Just the first one Smile Maze 1

I didn't realize the PDF had other pages below. Thanks again!
buttered_toast
buttered_toast
Hufflepuff Prefect

Back to top Go down

Post by MIASelene 2011-04-18, 14:27

buttered_toast wrote:
1. “Come, Wormtail, one more death and our path to Harry Potter is clear. I am not asking you to do it alone. By that time, my faithful servant would have rejoined us-” –Voldemort (p10)

While we can speculate that perhaps Voldemort was referring to finally getting even with Dumbledore, this only happened in the 6th book. There was an entirely different I’ll-get-you-Harry plot in the fourth book. So, who do you think was supposed to be murdered? Was it all a foiled plot?

The Dark Lord was referring to Mad-Eye Moody. But with the information Voldemort has forcibly acquired from Bertha Jorkins, I don't think the plan calls for Moody's immediate death since they have great need for him if the plan was to succeed. If all went well, then I think the Dark Lord would have given the orders for Wormtail and this faithful servant to go ahead with the murder.

In my opinion it was not a foiled plot since the plan was to get Harry to touch the portkey and be transported at that graveyard. The only glitch they encountered was that Harry didn't touch the Triwizard Cup alone.

buttered_toast wrote:2. Considering our wider knowledge of spells now that we've finished the 7th book, do you think proper measures were taken to control unwanted Muggles during the World Cup? Were Obliviating and I-think-I-left-the-tap-running charms enough?

I think the security measures used during the Quidditch World Cup were enough. The MoM has secured everything well from the site itself ("we had to find a nice, desserted moor, and set up as many anti-Muggle precaution as possible..." GoF p.69) to the well-coordinated arrival of the wizards who would come to watch the games. ("we had to stagger the arrivals....people with cheaper tickets have to arrive two weeks beforehand...we can't have to many clogging up their buses and trains...some Apparate,but we have to set up safe points, well away from Muggles...We use Portkeys." GoF p.69-70)

I think those simple charms to make Muggles forget what they've seen are enough. Too much use of magic might only harm the intended targets.

MIASelene
MIASelene
Apprentice to Monsieur Malkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down