Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum
Hogwarts Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapters 6-8 - All Systems Go

5 posters

Go down

Chapters 6-8 - All Systems Go Empty Chapters 6-8 - All Systems Go

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-08-09, 14:04

Chapter 6: The Ghoul in Pyjamas

After the tragic deaths suffered by the Order/Harry in the previous chapters (we've said goodbye to both Hedwig and Mag Eye Moody in one go), we now find the trio having a difficult time preparing for their planned quest. Mrs. Weasley and her continuous mollycoddling is to blame, as expected. But Harry, Ron and Hermione are not to be deterred. Harry is dead-set in leaving; he doesn't even want to stay for both his birthday and the wedding, fearful of putting everyone in graver danger if he stays longer. Ron's been doing his own preparations as he utilizes the resident attic Ghoul, transfiguring it to look like himself suffering from spattergroit so that Death Eaters who might come and visit will think he is unable to go to school because of his sickness; , Hermione has altered the memories of her parents into thinking they should go to Australia and that they have no daughter at all. She's also been packing their books and other essential stuff so they can leave at a moment's notice.

Meanwhile, preparations are also underway for the wedding of Bill and Fleur. The Burrow's tight security measures notwithstanding, the venue is seriously given an overhaul as the Delacours apparate in anticipation of the romantic celebration.

Some thoughts and questions:

1. Were you surprised with Hermione's revelation that she summoned the books owned by Dumbledore, those books containing information about Horcruxes, from the late Headmaster's study? I'm not referring to her skill in summoning since there is no doubt about that at all. What I'm referring to is the very action of getting somebody else's property without permission, books of dark nature at that. Books securely kept by Albus moreso. Judging from Hermione's sheepish reply when Ron pressed her to explain, I'm guessing she felt a twinge of. . .embarrassment perhaps? Discomfiture over something she knew she shouldn't have done? Is it the result of being in the company of the two boys for so long their rule-breaking nature has finally rubbed off on her? Or is this quality ingrained in her, her willingness to break certain rules? You may want to refer to Books 1-6 for references. Smile

2. Imagine spattergroit. I kind of imagine it like chicken pox and measles combined, only more life-threatening I suppose. Did you imagine it differently? You have to give it to Ron and the Weasleys to think of such avenues. Its seriousness is evident, but so is the humour, don't you think?

3. If you were in the shoes of the trio, how would you try to escape the controlling ways of Molly? Granted that she really just want you to be safe hence the never-ending chores, you know that you have a job to do. You need to prepare. How would you go about it, also given the tight space over at the Burrow?

More to come!
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Chapters 6-8 - All Systems Go Empty Re: Chapters 6-8 - All Systems Go

Post by lianne 2011-08-09, 23:10

DADAProfAE wrote:1. Were you surprised with Hermione's revelation that she summoned the books owned by Dumbledore, those books containing information about Horcruxes, from the late Headmaster's study? I'm not referring to her skill in summoning since there is no doubt about that at all. What I'm referring to is the very action of getting somebody else's property without permission, books of dark nature at that. Books securely kept by Albus moreso. Judging from Hermione's sheepish reply when Ron pressed her to explain, I'm guessing she felt a twinge of. . .embarrassment perhaps? Discomfiture over something she knew she shouldn't have done? Is it the result of being in the company of the two boys for so long their rule-breaking nature has finally rubbed off on her? Or is this quality ingrained in her, her willingness to break certain rules? You may want to refer to Books 1-6 for references. Smile

You know, this can also be a question of, does the end justify the means? I mean, one can say that getting hold of those books were clearly necessary. It helped them find ways to destroy the horcruxes. But it was still stealing. Rule-breaking if we want to soften the offence. Razz Anyhoo, I think Hermione will do almost anything to achieve her goals. Especially if she believes she's right and/or doing the right thing. Her heart is in the right place which is why she knows where to draw the line especially when it really matters. But she's also willing to toe that line if needed. A clear contrast from Harry but that's a different discussion altogether.

Back to the books, I was actually more surprised that she got those books without trouble! Do you guys think Dumbledore set it up to be so?

Chapters 6-8 - All Systems Go 909172
lianne
lianne
Admissions and Alumni Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-08-10, 19:26

^Yep, that's our Hermione indeed. And her character perfectly fits with that of the two boys' own personalities. While Harry has will but not enough skill, and Ron has humor (that humanizes our hero Harry) but not enough skill and will, Hermione has both the skill and will (though her sense of humor leaves a lot to be desired (she's like a young Minerva---subtle to practically non-existent humor). She's a well thought out character, very dynamic and complex. She is totally the opposite of those damsels in distress without being a Mary Sue for, being human, Hermione is flawed just like all of us.

As for the easy manner Hermione got hold of the books (whodathunk a simple Accio would've done the trick?), I suppose Albus thought if one is smart enough to figure out the Horcruxes, and if one is clever enough to figure out the possibility of those books being in his possession, then summoning them would simply be a matter of competence above the call of duty. Hermione deserved it for she figured it all out. I am reminded of one of Dumbledore's smart tricks from way back----him hiding the Sorcerer's Stone. And then connect it with one of his most famous lines, "Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it" ('deserve it' instead of "ask for it" in the film adaptation of DH2).

Keep those ideas coming!
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne 2011-08-23, 23:46

DADAProfAE wrote:3. If you were in the shoes of the trio, how would you try to escape the controlling ways of Molly? Granted that she really just want you to be safe hence the never-ending chores, you know that you have a job to do. You need to prepare. How would you go about it, also given the tight space over at the Burrow?

More to come!

Maybe they could have done the 'hide in the bathroom' trick again. Razz
One of them could pretend to be alone in there...
Although I don't think that will give them much time to talk.

Honestly, I don't know why they couldn't have stayed up longer and planned during the night.
Hermione could have easily gotten Ginny's cooperation to not tell Molly she's been sneaking into the boys' room.

lianne
lianne

Back to top Go down

Post by dementedlouise 2011-08-25, 01:41

lianne wrote:

Honestly, I don't know why they couldn't have stayed up longer and planned during the night.
Hermione could have easily gotten Ginny's cooperation to not tell Molly she's been sneaking into the boys' room.

Chapters 6-8 - All Systems Go 909172[/color]

-I would just like to comment on this. I think Hermione opt not to ask for Ginny's cooperation since there's a possibility that Ginny might ask what they are up to. Why would Hermione has to sneak into the boy's room? Of course, it would be fishy for Ginny as to why she has to sneak. Their mission is top secret. Knowing Hermione, she wouldn't want anyone to give her an excuse as to in any matter know their mission.

dementedlouise
Dodging Peeves' Water Balloons at the Entrance Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-08-30, 11:33

Chapter 7: The Will of Albus Dumbledore

Today is Harry's birthday in this chapter of the novel. *Happy birthday, Chosen One!*

Anyway, Harry gets a few presents, the most notable of course is the kiss from Ginny up in her bedroom.

Scratch that. The most notable present he receives today, though not a birthday present, is the Golden Snitch as bequeathed to him by the late Albus Dumbledore, courtesy of Minister Rufus Scrimgeour. According to the last will and testament, Ron is to receive the Deluminator, Hermione the book Tales of Beedle the Bard, and Harry the Golden Snitch and Godric Gryffindor's sword. Unfortunately, the Minister decided not to give the sword to Harry as it was not the personal property of the late Headmaster.

That evening, Harry figures out a note when he pressed his mouth on the Snitch (thanks to its flesh memory). The writing says, "I open at the close."

Some thoughts and questions:

1. Hermione was adamant that the Minister should've given the sword to Harry as bequeathed by Dumbledore, but the Minister decided against it, claiming that the sword belongs to any Gryffindor student worthy of it. If you were the Minister, would you have arrived at the same decision? Was that an impartial judgment on his part?

2. I've always wondered about the nature of the Deluminator. It's a gadget that we've seen as early as Philosopher's Stone and we know how it works, or at least the basics of it. It sucks out the light from a source, say a lamp, and can be restored or used for later needs. I wonder if it works with non-mechanical objects such as a candle? And is there no other magical way (that is, non-gadget way aside from one's wand) to remove light from a source and to restore it as it originally was? I'd like to think Dumbledore (or any of the other competent wizards and witches in the narrative) can deal with light and darkness as easily as Disapparating from a place. Or do you think this has something to do with magic and Muggle technology being at odds, hence the need for a mediating gadget?

3. I wonder how Albus kept track of the Golden Snitch first captured by Harry from Book 1. Did he ask for it from Madam Hooch or did he go to the Quidditch locker room and Accio'ed it himself? I wonder when Albus actually did this particular task, given his very busy timetable. . .

4. Finally, what did you think of Ginny's birthday present? Was Ron's indignation called for? Was he right when he said quite angrily that Harry was just giving Ginny false hope about the relationship? Or was Ginny the one giving Harry false hope?

Share your thoughts!

DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by loonyphy 2011-08-30, 22:05

DADAProfAE wrote:

4. Finally, what did you think of Ginny's birthday present? Was Ron's indignation called for? Was he right when he said quite angrily that Harry was just giving Ginny false hope about the relationship? Or was Ginny the one giving Harry false hope?

Share your thoughts!

--I think Ron's reaction to this was brought by the fact that Ginny is his younger sister. He became overprotective of her. A natural reaction of a loving and caring brother. He doesn't want Ginny to get hurt again. I don't think neither Harry nor Ginny intend to give false hope on each other. Harry made it clear that he can't go on with their relationship, given the situation and I think Ginny is not stupid enough not to understand.
loonyphy
loonyphy
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by siriuslystrange 2011-08-30, 23:42

DADAProfAE wrote:1. Hermione was adamant that the Minister should've given the sword to Harry as bequeathed by Dumbledore, but the Minister decided against it, claiming that the sword belongs to any Gryffindor student worthy of it. If you were the Minister, would you have arrived at the same decision? Was that an impartial judgment on his part?

Getting into the character of Scrimgeour, I totally understand why he didn't just give it to a Hogwarts student, even "The Boy Who Lived" himself. The Minister was right, however great Dumbledore lived and however sad his death was, the sword wasn't his to give in the first place. Dumbledore of course knew that even before writing his will, it was all part of the plan -- to let Harry know that he would need the sword of Gryffindor to accomplish the task he left him, which was to destroy the Horcruxes.

Was it an impartial decision? Yes and no.
Yes because he hated the Dark Lord and his Death Eaters and never subverted to their control. Even when he was captured and tortured by Voldemort, Scrimgeour, having "put up quite a fight" in his final moments, refused to talk despite knowing where Harry was. So being one of the wizards who fights for the Light, he'd want to give Harry the sword and he'd want to follow Dumbledore's will, but he chose not to because of the law.
And no because he was known to create the illusion of safety amidst the war, letting people think that the Ministry have it all under control so it could also be a selfish act. He didn't want anyone, most of all Harry, to know that the resistance is failing, therefore could be one of his personal reasons of refusing Dumbledore's request.

2. I've always wondered about the nature of the Deluminator. It's a gadget that we've seen as early as Philosopher's Stone and we know how it works, or at least the basics of it. It sucks out the light from a source, say a lamp, and can be restored or used for later needs. I wonder if it works with non-mechanical objects such as a candle? And is there no other magical way (that is, non-gadget way aside from one's wand) to remove light from a source and to restore it as it originally was? I'd like to think Dumbledore (or any of the other competent wizards and witches in the narrative) can deal with light and darkness as easily as Disapparating from a place. Or do you think this has something to do with magic and Muggle technology being at odds, hence the need for a mediating gadget?
Interesting .. I only know of the Deluminator(gadget) and its spell counterpart, Lumos/Nox. I don't think there are further explanations about this topic, but how many spells or gadgets does a wizard need to deal with light (or lack thereof)?

3. I wonder how Albus kept track of the Golden Snitch first captured by Harry from Book 1. Did he ask for it from Madam Hooch or did he go to the Quidditch locker room and Accio'ed it himself? I wonder when Albus actually did this particular task, given his very busy timetable. . .
We have no way of knowing (except, maybe Pottermore? lol) so we could only speculate, but I'm pretty sure a task like that would be very easy for Dumbledore Wink

She was always fond of Harry, so I think the little kiss was sweet. In my opinion, Ron's reaction was natural. Seeing his bestfriend kiss his little sister -- what would you think if you were in his place? My brother's like that, and they'll always be like that however unreasonable it seems Very Happy I'm not going any further on this topic because I don't have an affinity with them as a couple. Razz
siriuslystrange
siriuslystrange
Feasting in the Great Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne 2011-08-31, 00:22

dementedlouise wrote:
lianne wrote:

Chapters 6-8 - All Systems Go 909172[/color]

-I would just like to comment on this. I think Hermione opt not to ask for Ginny's cooperation since there's a possibility that Ginny might ask what they are up to. Why would Hermione has to sneak into the boy's room? Of course, it would be fishy for Ginny as to why she has to sneak. Their mission is top secret. Knowing Hermione, she wouldn't want anyone to give her an excuse as to in any matter know their mission.

True. But I think at this point, Ginny already knows enough about what the trio plans to do and knows she wouldn't get specific answers even if she asks. Remember, they helped Ron with the ghoul in the attic. They know he [Ron] plans to leave with Harry but they don't know what they intend to do, which is find horcruxes. So I don't think getting Ginny's help would be too much of a problem.

What I'm really amazed of is how Mr. Weasley can just let his youngest son go off and do his thing. I mean, that's an awful lot of freedom to be giving your 17-year old kid. Even if he IS of age.

Which makes me think that as much as Mrs. Weasley mollycoddle her kids, Mr. Weasley is the complete opposite. What do you guys think? Is Mr. Weasley too lax in his parenting? Which parent would you rather have?

lianne
lianne

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-08-31, 10:49

lianne wrote:

What I'm really amazed of is how Mr. Weasley can just let his youngest son go off and do his thing. I mean, that's an awful lot of freedom to be giving your 17-year old kid. Even if he IS of age.

Which makes me think that as much as Mrs. Weasley mollycoddle her kids, Mr. Weasley is the complete opposite. What do you guys think? Is Mr. Weasley too lax in his parenting? Which parent would you rather have?

I think I'd have both of 'em. Smile They balance each other out quite perfectly. I guess the reason why Arthur is a bit lax in his style is because his wife Molly tends to go a bit overboard when it comes to parenting. And in the same vein, Molly mollycuddles because her other half tends to be, well, underprotective of the kids. It's the old good cop/bad cop drama I suppose. Given their nature, the Weasley kids need both most definitely, hahaha.
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-08-31, 11:04

siriuslystrange wrote:

Interesting .. I only know of the Deluminator(gadget) and its spell counterpart, Lumos/Nox. I don't think there are further explanations about this topic, but how many spells or gadgets does a wizard need to deal with light (or lack thereof)?

Correct me if I'm wrong though, but isn't Lumos/Nox the incantation for producing light specifically from one's wand, and not from an another light source (say, a lamp or a candle)? So L/N are not exactly counterparts of the Deluminator. As to how many spells/gadgets for light, that's the root of the question above. Why was there a need to invent the Deluminator if a competent witch/wizard can ably produce light from a wand? Unless it's mere function is really just for the sucking of the light for later use (light-saver, hahaha). And unless the wizard's/witch's powers do not extend to Muggle technology, as mentioned previously, heance the need for a mediating gadget. study
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by siriuslystrange 2011-08-31, 17:14

DADAProfAE wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong though, but isn't Lumos/Nox the incantation for producing light specifically from one's wand, and not from an another light source (say, a lamp or a candle)? So L/N are not exactly counterparts of the Deluminator. As to how many spells/gadgets for light, that's the root of the question above. Why was there a need to invent the Deluminator if a competent witch/wizard can ably produce light from a wand? Unless it's mere function is really just for the sucking of the light for later use (light-saver, hahaha). And unless the wizard's/witch's powers do not extend to Muggle technology, as mentioned previously, heance the need for a mediating gadget. study

Yes they are different in that way, I just stated them as an example because like the Deluminator, they also deal with light and have the same effect (putting lights on and putting them out).

And my last question was rhetorical. Wink
siriuslystrange
siriuslystrange
Feasting in the Great Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-08-31, 19:23

siriuslystrange wrote:
DADAProfAE wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong though, but isn't Lumos/Nox the incantation for producing light specifically from one's wand, and not from an another light source (say, a lamp or a candle)? So L/N are not exactly counterparts of the Deluminator. As to how many spells/gadgets for light, that's the root of the question above. Why was there a need to invent the Deluminator if a competent witch/wizard can ably produce light from a wand? Unless it's mere function is really just for the sucking of the light for later use (light-saver, hahaha). And unless the wizard's/witch's powers do not extend to Muggle technology, as mentioned previously, hence the need for a mediating gadget. study

Yes they are different in that way, I just stated them as an example because like the Deluminator, they also deal with light and have the same effect (putting lights on and putting them out).

And my last question was rhetorical. Wink

Was it? Sorry, it didn't register that way. It's the nature of the ether I suppose. I was angling for sarcasm myself but I guess my reply turned out half-baked. Smile

To get back on track, the Deluminator at this point has yet to reveal other powers aside from being a light-sucker. Now that we have the benefit of hindsight as to its other capability (it brought Ron back to Hermione), I wonder about Albus' intentions as its original designer. Why would a great magus imbue the put-outer with a certain capability he most likely wouldn't need? It's also quite possible that it was just an add-on when the late Headmaster realized he would be giving the Deluminator to Ron as per the last will he prepared.

And oh, 5 points to siriuslystrange for her insights on Scrimgeour. Take heed, Ravenclaw Prefects. Thanks!
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down