Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum
Hogwarts Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 10: Luna Lovegood

+4
mitchie08
kimlinheung
doc_ardyey
severusa.snape
8 posters

Go down

Chapter 10: Luna Lovegood Empty Chapter 10: Luna Lovegood

Post by severusa.snape 2011-05-16, 16:30

Welcome to our Grand Online Book Discussion!
This month, we will be discussing the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Note:
* We have created a Bulletin Board where you can find discussion updates & announcements. If you have questions and suggestions, please feel free to post them HERE.
* Every weekend, a game will be provided where everyone are very much welcome to join.
* We encourage fun and healthy discussion. Foul and offensive languages/ opinions will not be tolerated. Respect is highly observed.

Thank you very much and we are looking forward to all your responses.

Discussion Leaders,
HG Severusa.Snape & HB Siyuske_Tryeth

severusa.snape
severusa.snape
Head Girl

http://www.blognijoan.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Chapter 10: Luna Lovegood Empty Re: Chapter 10: Luna Lovegood

Post by severusa.snape 2011-05-16, 16:32

Chapter 10: Luna Lovegood C10-lu10

Harry's unsettling dreams of locked doors and shadowy hallways continue. As the group leaves for King's Cross station for the school train there is the usual hubbub. Sirius transfigures himself into his usual disguise of a big, black dog, and accompanies them to the station.
Back on the train, Ron and Hermione go to a prefect’s meeting while Harry, Ginny and Neville find a compartment with Luna Lovegood who has a reputation among the students for being quite loopy. While waiting for the carriage, Harry first notices that there are strange horse-like animals pulling the carriages where in previous years they seemed to move by themselves. Luna seems to be the only other person who can see the animals.

Questions:

1) Why does every student have to travel to London to catch the Hogwarts Express every school year? Why can't other students (specially those who live near Hogwarts) simply go to Hogsmead station?

2) If Thestrals can only be seen by those who witnessed death, are you capable of seeing Thestrals just like Harry and Luna? (pretend that we are in the Wizarding world)

severusa.snape
severusa.snape
Head Girl

http://www.blognijoan.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doc_ardyey 2011-05-17, 03:50

1) Why does every student have to travel to London to catch the Hogwarts Express every school year? Why can't other students (specially those who live near Hogwarts) simply go to Hogsmead station?

It's one way for me of giving every student an equal treatment. Well, for once, muggles can't directly go to hogsmeade, more or less hogwarts since they don't have the capacity. And I do believe that the founders, less one, believe that equality among muggles and pure wizards shouldn't be the gauge of power, nor magical ability.

2) If Thestrals can only be seen by those who witnessed death, are you capable of seeing Thestrals just like Harry and Luna? (pretend that we are in the Wizarding world)

It's actually quite intriguing to know about such creatures. However, I'm preety sure I haven't seen anyone dead yet. I do wish, I won't be able to see thestrals at all.
doc_ardyey
doc_ardyey
Lost in the castle hallways

http://www.quackpack.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kimlinheung 2011-05-17, 22:16

Though it may not be the same for all wizards or witches, I believe that London is where everything started. It's like their portkey to education and proper knowledge of magic. You might think that "Hey, isn't that Hogsmeade is the gateway to Hogwarts?", but what I'm pointing out is that London is the epicenter for them. Before you branch out to Hogwarts or the Ministry, London is the place to be.

I guess not. Seeing someone die is on my most heartbreaking scenes list. I don't want to live in fear of someone dead or missing them for most of my life. Though it may be cool, I'd rather pass on seeing a thestral. Sad
kimlinheung
kimlinheung
Settling Into the Dormitories

http://flavors.me/kimlinheung

Back to top Go down

Post by mitchie08 2011-05-21, 10:39

- I think that London that is the starting point of every student to go to Hogwarts. Also to assure that all students will make it to Hogwarts safely. About to Hogsmeade, it's too unfair for the other students if they'll just go by themselves.

- I don't think I can't and I don't want to see someone dead. Death is a type of scenes that is totally heartbreaking. I can't handle myself from those type of scenes.
mitchie08
mitchie08
Lost in the castle hallways

https://www.facebook.com/mitchiepotter08

Back to top Go down

Post by MIASelene 2011-05-21, 20:11

severusa.snape wrote:1) Why does every student have to travel to London to catch the Hogwarts Express every school year? Why can't other students (specially those who live near Hogwarts) simply go to Hogsmead station?

I guess it's a way to keep tabs on all incoming Hogwarts students. There's also a possibility that it is done for the students' protection as well and as RJ mentioned earlier, it is a good way to show all young wizards and witches that they are all treated equally even before the term begins, whether they're pure-blood, half-blood or a muggle.

severusa.snape wrote:2) If Thestrals can only be seen by those who witnessed death, are you capable of seeing Thestrals just like Harry and Luna? (pretend that we are in the Wizarding world)

Absolutely. Without a doubt.

MIASelene
MIASelene
Apprentice to Monsieur Malkin

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne 2011-05-21, 23:24

The experience! Very Happy I think it would be kinda sad if a student won't be able to experience the journey to Hogwarts. Hanging out with your pals in the train, goofing around especially with the adults gone and most of all, the anticipation that comes with heading out towards school.

Although, I must admit it's a bit too much to go all the way to London for all that. LOL

About the thestrals, I won't be able to see them. Thankfully I haven't had that kind of encounter with death.

Chapter 10: Luna Lovegood 909172
lianne
lianne
Admissions and Alumni Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-05-22, 18:00

Why does every student have to travel to London to catch the Hogwarts Express every school year? Why can't other students (specially those who live near Hogwarts) simply go to Hogsmead station?

It's part of a ritual. If you've been a member of a tight-knit community say, an educational institution, then you wouldn't be surprised about the said journey. It's part of a tradition the entire community has observed for quite a long time (I guess as far back as trains were invented). It's similar to the knocking of some great oak door by the head student (with the rest of her peers behind her) to be allowed in by the revered faculty (see the movie Mona Lisa Smile), symbolic of the tradition of acquiring knowledge, or lighting a candle at the start of every academic year (see Dead Poets Society) or attending a convocation to welcome the students at the beginning of every year (that which I do ever year). Rituals help communities in terms of forming and maintaining bonds. Its value is more mystical than practical. So even if it's possible for students who live nearby to just go to the station to meet the other arrivals, the value of kinship and camaraderie (everyone must suffer the same long wait inside the same moving train; very communal, very equalizing) would be lost.
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by gen_excelciosempra 2011-05-29, 04:37

1. i think, they should be fair to the students.... other young sorcerers came from other parts of the world, exhausted then they will need to catch up the train while the students that live near the hogsmeade came walking pleasantly to the station... so its unfair...

2. i've seen death. i was like four or five years old when my grandfather died. he died because of emphysema. i watched him catch for breath as he lay in the old "tumba-tumba" chair. while his sons and daughters helped him to survive, i simply watched him to death... what did i know??? i was just little that time! Very Happy
gen_excelciosempra
gen_excelciosempra
Feasting in the Great Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down