Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum
Hogwarts Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 4: Number Twelve, Grimmaud Place

+3
DADAProfAE
Kay
severusa.snape
7 posters

Go down

Chapter 4: Number Twelve, Grimmaud Place Empty Chapter 4: Number Twelve, Grimmaud Place

Post by severusa.snape 2011-05-08, 18:58

Welcome to our Grand Online Book Discussion!
This month, we will be discussing the Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Note:
* We have created a Bulletin Board where you can find discussion updates & announcements. If you have questions and suggestions, please feel free to post them HERE.
* Every weekend, a game will be provided where everyone are very much welcome to join.
* We encourage fun and healthy discussion. Foul and offensive languages/ opinions will not be tolerated. Respect is highly observed.

Thank you very much and we are looking forward to all your responses.

Discussion Leaders,
HG Severusa.Snape & HB Siyuske_Tryeth

severusa.snape
severusa.snape
Head Girl

http://www.blognijoan.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Chapter 4: Number Twelve, Grimmaud Place Empty Re: Chapter 4: Number Twelve, Grimmaud Place

Post by severusa.snape 2011-05-08, 19:00

Number Twelve, Grimmaud Place

Chapter 4: Number Twelve, Grimmaud Place C04-nu10

Grimmaud Place is revealed as the home of the Sirius Black’s family and the current (hidden) headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix, a secret society that Dumbledore formed. Harry is surprised to see Snape is also a member of the Order. Hermione, Ron and the Weasley family are at the house. We find out that Percy has abandoned the Weasley family after an argument with Mr Weasley. There seems to be a fight between Dumbledore and the Ministry, fueled by the Daily Prophet.

Question:
1) We know that Percy has always been self-centered and ambitious. In this chapter, we found out that Percy has become estranged from his family and it caused them so much pain and anguish. Why do you think Percy has chosen to side with the Ministry instead of his own family specially in this dark times?

severusa.snape
severusa.snape
Head Girl

http://www.blognijoan.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Chapter 4: Number Twelve, Grimmaud Place Empty Re: Chapter 4: Number Twelve, Grimmaud Place

Post by Kay 2011-05-10, 00:40

Given that Percy has always sought for recognition and achievement distinct from what his family is known for, his ambition could have easily blinded his judgement. Besides, siding with the Ministry was the obvious choice for someone who wishes to climb ranks within it.

I think Percy has always wanted to make a name for himself and step out of the "Weasley stereotype", he took the chance when he had it. There was no better time than when the Ministry decided to part ways with Dumbledore and in effect contrast with what the Weasleys believed in.
Kay
Kay
Dodging Peeves' Water Balloons at the Entrance Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-05-16, 13:31

Ambition, indeed, no matter what the cost, finally caught up with Percy. I guess Percy is the weakest of the Weasley brood, easily tempted by the shimmer and sparkle of fame and fortune. He's always been one to show his hunger, his zeal when it comes to power (and everything that comes with it). Come on, Prefect to Head Boy to young assistant to Crouch? That's a major feat and not everyone is up to that task. But along with his zealousness we see the price he had to pay---him severing ties with his family. It will take a tremendous amount of humility and yes, courage, to have an awakening, a realization of his huge mistake.
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by kimlinheung 2011-05-17, 21:30

At first I thought that Percy wanted to side with the Ministry because of selfishness. He wants to protect himself from the horrible possibilities that may arise since Voldemort came back. But thinking that it was his own choice to work for the Ministry in the first place, I guess that it is for personal gain. Percy remained irrelevant to me until the day that I read that he came back to hid family with redemption. Thankfully, the Weasley in him didn't go away. Smile
kimlinheung
kimlinheung
Settling Into the Dormitories

http://flavors.me/kimlinheung

Back to top Go down

Post by mitchie08 2011-05-21, 11:57

1) We know that Percy has always been self-centered and ambitious. In this chapter, we found out that Percy has become estranged from his family and it caused them so much pain and anguish. Why do you think Percy has chosen to side with the Ministry instead of his own family specially in this dark times?

- I think it is all because he's just thinking for himself. There's a possibility that he want something to get, something he really loves to have. He's aiming for something so much. If I am a member of the Weasleys, I'll feel the same. It's really disappointing that a member of your family chose the power rather than his/her love ones.
mitchie08
mitchie08
Lost in the castle hallways

https://www.facebook.com/mitchiepotter08

Back to top Go down

Post by MIASelene 2011-05-21, 20:36

I guess it's not just ambition or selfishness that pushed Percy to turn his back on his family. Remember he comes from a very big family and having too many siblings to compete with, in terms of attention, love, material things, etc., can make one long to break away from the confines of his home. To start with they don't have much so I guess he was thinking that the moment he is able, he would make a life for himself. He no longer needs to compete with any of his siblings. He'll make a name for himself.
The first taste of freedom and power has gotten into his head which, I think, has made him attached to the source, which happens to be the Ministry.

It's like being in a juxtaposition where on one side is your family, where you absolutely feel you get nothing and the Ministry one one side where you get a taste of power, authority and recognition. What would you choose then?

I honestly can tell you, I might have done what Percy did but it doesn't mean that I don't love my family any less. I would just like to get away. Percy may have seem like a traitor to his family but I guess he got blinded by all the fame and power the Ministry was able to give him but I have no doubts, by the end of the day, that he doesn't think of and feel guilty about how bad he has treated his family but since he is a weak person, he forgets those doubts the moment he clocks in at the ministry.

MIASelene
MIASelene
Apprentice to Monsieur Malkin

Back to top Go down

Post by gen_excelciosempra 2011-05-29, 04:52

i think percy became cautious of himself that his family may be involved of the wizarding war so he tried to isolate himself so he would not join them...
gen_excelciosempra
gen_excelciosempra
Feasting in the Great Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down