Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum
Hogwarts Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PoA Section Ten: In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth

+3
DADAProfAE
mitchie08
romaiel
7 posters

Go down

PoA Section Ten:  In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth Empty PoA Section Ten: In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth

Post by romaiel 2011-03-30, 14:52

PoA Section Ten: In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth

Chapter 19 – The Servant of Lord Voldemort
In this chapter, Harry, Ron and Hermione's confrontation of Professor Lupin and Sirius Black was interrupted by the sudden appearance of Professor Snape. Sensing that revenge was within his midst, Professor Snape asserted control over the situation by binding Professor Lupin, aiming his wand at Sirius Black and lectured the trio about the consequences of their actions as well as insulting Harry about how he behaves like his father. The insults drove Harry, and even Hermione, to disarm and render Professor Snape unconscious. As Professor Lupin and Sirius Black told their side of the story, they eventually managed to convince Ron to hand over Scabbers and revealed that Peter Pettigrew was indeed the rat. Filled with hatred and loss of the death of Harry's parents, Professor Lupin and Sirius Black wanted to kill Peter Pettigrew, which Harry stopped because he didn't want his father's two best friends to become killers. Harry managed to convince them that Peter Pettigrew deserves to be imprisoned at Azkaban and pay for the crime he has committed.

Chapter 20 – The Dementor's Kiss
In this chapter, Harry entertained the prospect of being able to live with Sirius Black, of being free from the Dursley's, while the whole lot of them exited the Shrieking Shack to hand over Peter Pettigrew to Professor Dumbledore so that he will be imprisoned in Azkaban. However, they didn't anticipate the full moon and Professor Lupin started to transform into a werewolf. To keep the rest of the crowd safe, Sirius Black transformed into his dog form and challenged Professor Lupin into a fight. In the midst of the scuffle, Peter Pettigrew got Lupin's wand, cast a spell on Ron and used it to transform himself back into a rat and ran away. After checking that Ron was unconscious but safe, Harry and Hermione decided to go after Sirius Black. The three of them meet in the forest where they were suddenly surrounded by hundreds of dementors. Despite Harry and Hermione's efforts to cast a Patronus charm, all of them succumbed to the dementor's kiss.

Discussion Question/s:

1. If Professor Snape set aside his "schoolboy grudge" long enough to listen to Professor Lupin and Sirius Black's explanations, do you think he would have arrived at the same conclusion that Harry did and help bring the true guilty man back to Azkaban?

2. If you were in Harry's shoes, would you have also spared Peter Pettigrew's life from the hands of Professor Lupin and Sirius Black even after the realization that it was him who betrayed and caused the death of his parents?

3. If you were faced by a dementor and had to cast a Patronus charm, what happy thought or memory would you use to draw strength from?

study
romaiel
romaiel
Ravenclaw Prefect

Location : apparating between the national library & avilon zoo

Back to top Go down

PoA Section Ten:  In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth Empty Re: PoA Section Ten: In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth

Post by mitchie08 2011-04-13, 21:31

If you were in Harry's shoes, would you have also spared Peter Pettigrew's life from the hands of Professor Lupin and Sirius Black even after the realization that it was him who betrayed and caused the death of his parents?

-Yes,I would also spare Peter Pettigrew...He's an intruder...He didn't deserved to be respected....

If you were faced by a dementor and had to cast a Patronus charm, what happy thought or memory would you use to draw strength from?

-My days with my friends having fun, the times that they made me happy and strong.....
mitchie08
mitchie08
Lost in the castle hallways

https://www.facebook.com/mitchiepotter08

Back to top Go down

PoA Section Ten:  In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth Empty Re: PoA Section Ten: In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-04-15, 17:09

If you were faced by a dementor and had to cast a Patronus charm, what happy thought or memory would you use to draw strength from?

Easy. PHP! Smile I've said it before, will say it again. Bartimaeus is my Patronus, and he loves to turn into PHP wizards and witches when the need arises. He's a smart protector, Bartimaeus is. Smile

And oh, I don't kid. PoA Section Ten:  In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth 876171

If you were in Harry's shoes, would you have also spared Peter Pettigrew's life from the hands of Professor Lupin and Sirius Black even after the realization that it was him who betrayed and caused the death of his parents?

Tough question. Hmm. . . It's easy to be all lofty and noble and say, yeah, I'd do it the same way Harry did. He took the high road. But knowing me and my impulses. . . I don't know. I may not be as noble as I would like to think I am. Perhaps the only thing that would make me spare the rat's tail is my conscience, that and nothing else. Not pity, nor some sense of rational judgment. In the end it will just be about me and how I'd be able to handle my own sense of justice and fairness. I know, kind of dark and smells vigilantism, but that's just me. I am just glad I'm not Harry. It's tough to be the Potter kid.
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Luciola 2011-04-15, 23:46

1. It was seen in the succeeding books that Snape is capable of setting aside his emotions and becoming "professional". I think that he will come up with the same decisions as Harry did.

2. "Hate the Crime, Not the Person."
I'll do it "Hard-Boiled Style", let the law give him judgment.

3. Friends and my Love ones
Luciola
Luciola
Feasting in the Great Hall

http://thatwhichlightsthedark.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Issa 2011-07-06, 00:08

romaiel wrote:PoA Section Ten: In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth

study

Okay, so I'm not really answering this question, but I've a question (well, this originally came from a friend) related to this. Very Happy

Do you think it's possible for Voldemort to conjure a Patronus? (Since Patronuses can only be created when one is thinking of something happy.

Last edited by Issa on 2011-07-06, 23:02; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typographical error)
Issa
Issa
Just got off the Hogwarts Express

http://www.formspring.me/issuh

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-07-06, 07:32

^Interesting question! But I'll see your Patronus question and raise you with another one: would there be even a need for the Dark Lord to conjure a Patronus (given his status as, well, the Dark Lord, and his alliance with the Dementors)? Hmm. . .

For keeping this thread alive, and for asking a good question, I award you 5 points!
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Issa 2011-07-06, 23:58

DADAProfAE wrote:^Interesting question! But I'll see your Patronus question and raise you with another one: would there be even a need for the Dark Lord to conjure a Patronus (given his status as, well, the Dark Lord, and his alliance with the Dementors)? Hmm. . .

For keeping this thread alive, and for asking a good question, I award you 5 points!

Good point! I do get what you're saying. But say, he isn't the Lord Voldemort yet? Meaning, what if he was still the young, non-killer, Hogwarts student Tom Riddle, and there was a need for him to produce a Patronus? Would he be able to do it? I mean, I know not every detail of his life is narrated in the book but with all the angsty "I-hate-the-world" mindset he's portrayed, does he even have happy thoughts? Or would he have them, though his definition of "happy" might be different from our understanding of the concept? Very Happy

Btw, thanks for the 5 points! I really appreciate it! Woohoo! (though I don't think I should get the credit for the question as it wasn't originally mine) Laughing Thanks a bunch tho! Very Happy
Issa
Issa
Just got off the Hogwarts Express

http://www.formspring.me/issuh

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne 2011-07-07, 00:16

^ Hmm...Harry had the same dilemma, didn't he? He couldn't find a good enough memory for his patronus. The only thing he had for awhile was the very vague memory of his parents.

But I get what you're saying. Will a happy (to caster) memory fuel a patronus even if it's not a good memory (e.g. taking pleasure in torturing little kids)? If only we knew what memory Umbridge used to cast her patronus. I've always found her to be a vile kind of woman, incapable of good thoughts. But she must be happy about some things, right?

PoA Section Ten:  In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth 909172
lianne
lianne
Admissions and Alumni Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE 2011-07-07, 09:20

Excellent point, Lianne! All a Patronus caster needs is a happy memory, not exactly a good, morally acceptable, ethical memory. If I may be allowed to speculate that even in this regard Tom and Harry had a similar happy memory, that of being accepted and taken away
to go to Hogwarts, then I think Tom would have been able to cast one, yes. Perhaps in the form of a serpent even.
DADAProfAE
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne 2011-08-24, 00:09

Question: Would you have done what Hermione did? Not tell anyone about Lupin's 'little problem'?

For all we know Lupin MIGHT have been a bad guy.
Was Hermione simply a very good judge of character or was she being naive?

PoA Section Ten:  In Which Harry Finally Learns The Truth 909172
lianne
lianne
Admissions and Alumni Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by loonyphy 2011-08-24, 22:40

Well, if it were me, I'll keep my mouth shut. Just like what Hermione did. Not that I don't care or anything, but who am I to judge Lupin? And besides, it's none of my business. Although, yes, in a way, we have to care about that too since we're his students and if he's a bad guy, we're in danger...however, we shouldn't forget that it was Dumbledore's judgment that put Lupin in his current place. Perhaps, that is also the reason why Hermione didn't voice out/tell this to others. Who is she to question Dumbledore's judgement? If Dumbledore hired him, then maybe there's no reason not to trust him. Hermione thought that Dumbledore knew what's the best for school and that includes not hiring someone who could harm the students. And come to think of it, Lupin has not done anything wrong to any student. In fact, he is well-loved by the students except Malfoy's gang. He didn't harm Harry or anyone else...Hermione might have also considered this factor as to why she kept quiet about Lupin's case.
loonyphy
loonyphy
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down