Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum
Hogwarts Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PoA Section Four: In Which Harry Deals With Fear

+2
Luciola
romaiel
6 posters

Go down

PoA Section Four:  In Which Harry Deals With Fear Empty PoA Section Four: In Which Harry Deals With Fear

Post by romaiel 2011-03-12, 04:40

PoA Section Four: In Which Harry Deals With Fear

Chapter 7 – The Boggart in the Wardrobe
In this chapter, Harry and his friends have their first lesson with Professor Remus Lupin, the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. In their first lesson, the students face a boggart: a shape-shifter that lives in dark, closed spaces and takes on the form of a thing most feared by the person it encounters. The students were surprised and overjoyed by Professor Lupin’s “practical” approach, which easily made the class the most favorite one in Hogwarts.

Chapter 8 – The Flight of the Fat Lady
In this chapter, Harry is left alone as Ron, Hermione and almost everyone in Hogwarts visit Hogsmeade village. As he tries to appear normal despite feeling depressed, he encounters Professor Lupin when he was mindlessly walking along the school’s corridors. Harry accepted the professor’s invitation to his office and used it as an opportunity to find out why he was he prevented to take his turn with the boggart. Towards the end of the day, Ron and Hermione was filled with enthusiasm from their visit at Hogsmeade and gave Harry some of the treats that their Galleons could buy. However, the jolly mood was marred by the disappearance of the Fat Lady from her portrait and the news that Sirius Black was responsible for it.

Discussion Question/s:

1. What are your thoughts about Professor Lupin’s practical approach in the Defense Against the Dark Arts class? Do you think it is suitable for third-years, even younger, or just limit it to older students of Hogwarts?

2. Professor Snape seems to be picking on Harry and his friends more, especially during his Potions class. Do you think that his actions are going too far or justified given the students’ behaviors?

3. We finally learn about some of the places that you can see at Hogsmeade, like Dervish and Banges, Zonko’s Joke Shop, The Three Broomsticks, the Shrieking Shack, etc. If you were given a chance to visit Hogsmeade, which of these places would you go to first and why?

study
romaiel
romaiel
Ravenclaw Prefect

Location : apparating between the national library & avilon zoo

Back to top Go down

PoA Section Four:  In Which Harry Deals With Fear Empty Re: PoA Section Four: In Which Harry Deals With Fear

Post by Luciola 2011-03-12, 10:18

My cuz had borrowed my books 3 and 4 and haven't returned it yet for almost half a year already. I'm putting my ideas without any reference just to contribute.

1. They say Experience is the best teacher. Besides, The subject DADA is more on the practical side of education, like Physical Education in muggle schools. Most of the lessons taught in the subject needs application to prove such theory, and given that their subject is about boggarts, the effect differs from person to person simply because fear is subjective.

2. Uh-huh. Everyone knows how Snape deals with Harry and his friends, and it's quite normal. But as a Professor, he should have acted more professional. And that goes the same to Harry and friends.

3. I definitely want to visit Hog's Head. It gives the feeling of that old tavern, with the murky ambience and stuffs. And it's somewhat steampunky for my taste, and I'm a Steampunk inclined person myself.

*Sorry for the lack of depth in my answers, but I'll edit it oce I got my books back
Luciola
Luciola
Feasting in the Great Hall

http://thatwhichlightsthedark.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

PoA Section Four:  In Which Harry Deals With Fear Empty Re: PoA Section Four: In Which Harry Deals With Fear

Post by mitchie08 2011-03-15, 13:06

What are your thoughts about Professor Lupin’s practical approach in the Defense Against the Dark Arts class? Do you think it is suitable for third-years, even younger, or just limit it to older students of Hogwarts?

-I think it is just suitable for third years. I think he approached in that way to make his students more ready for his class. Besides, being a professor of the Defense Against the Dark Arts, you should be like a brave person.

Professor Snape seems to be picking on Harry and his friends more, especially during his Potions class. Do you think that his actions are going too far or justified given the students’ behaviors?

-My opinion is that his actions are going too far. I" just Noticed that most of the time, he is always picking Harry and his friends.

mitchie08
mitchie08
Lost in the castle hallways

https://www.facebook.com/mitchiepotter08

Back to top Go down

Post by allanwhistletop 2011-03-15, 23:16

What are your thoughts about Professor Lupin’s practical approach in the Defense Against the Dark Arts class? Do you think it is suitable for third-years, even younger, or just limit it to older students of Hogwarts?
I think it all depends on the level of learning of the students as well as the capabilities of the professor. The level of difficulty that Professor Lupin presented may seem to be too much for the students, but with the Lupin's expertise and experience, the class will be able to learn so much. But in the hands of a less than capable teacher like Lockhart last year, the students wouldn't be able to handle it. Moreover, it is high time for the students to have a practical hands on lesson. Except for that disastrous pixie encounter with Lockhart, "They had never had a practicalDefense Against the Dark Arts before" (PoA, ch. 7), thus a need to practice their skills and not just through books.

Professor Snape seems to be picking on Harry and his friends more, especially during his Potions class. Do you think that his actions are going too far or justified given the students’ behaviors?
I do think Snape is becoming more and more of a grouch ever since Harry started in Hogwarts, and becoming older isn't really helping them really. Snape is turning into a green eyed monster! Something's up with him I think. His usual meanness isn't the same. Though it's really getting too far, it is Snape after all, and he is expected to break the old barriers in terms of bad attitude.

We finally learn about some of the places that you can see at Hogsmeade, like Dervish and Banges, Zonko’s Joke Shop, The Three Broomsticks, the Shrieking Shack, etc. If you were given a chance to visit Hogsmeade, which of these places would you go to first and why?
I'll go to Honeydukes first, because I have a sweet tooth! I would try the different kinds of sweets that I could eat! Then I would go around the other shops like Dervish and Banges and then end the trip with a light snack at the Three Broomsticks with a nice mug of butterbeer to cap the day.
allanwhistletop
allanwhistletop
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffy 2011-03-20, 04:11

1. What are your thoughts about Professor Lupin’s practical approach in the Defense Against the Dark Arts class? Do you think it is suitable for third-years, even younger, or just limit it to older students of Hogwarts?

I'm absolutely for it! It's defense against the dark arts so it better have hands on activities in class. Imagine computer class without actually using the computer, that will be useless. Younger students can have less complicated spells.

2. Professor Snape seems to be picking on Harry and his friends more, especially during his Potions class. Do you think that his actions are going too far or justified given the students’ behaviors?

Personally, I think it's very immature of Prof. Snape to bully Neville just because of the boggart incident. It's not his fault that the thought of Snape terrifies him. Sometimes I think Snape is just like that to scare the students or maybe to feed his ego?

3. We finally learn about some of the places that you can see at Hogsmeade, like Dervish and Banges, Zonko’s Joke Shop, The Three Broomsticks, the Shrieking Shack, etc. If you were given a chance to visit Hogsmeade, which of these places would you go to first and why?

Zonko's Joke Shop would be my first stop, then maybe see what they have at Dervish and Banges, pass by the Shrieking Shack, then finally chill and relax at The Three Broomsticks.
tiffy
tiffy
Feasting in the Great Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by Elerrina 2011-03-21, 10:02

I think this is a good approach. I think that students would definitely respond better to the lessons because it brings a more realistic feel, and prepares them at an early age for what they will be facing in the future while keeping the environment controlled.
Elerrina
Elerrina
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down