Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum
Hogwarts Philippines
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Material: SS Chapters 1-4 (SPOILERS)

+3
raine07
theinkedquill
lianne
7 posters

Go down

New Material: SS Chapters 1-4 (SPOILERS) Empty New Material: SS Chapters 1-4 (SPOILERS)

Post by lianne 2011-09-07, 14:00

Hi guys!

Since more and more PHP members are getting into Pottermore and experiencing the magic, perhaps it's time to open threads for specific topics. I'm sure y'all are eager to discuss the new materials, from JK Rowling herself, found in Pottermore. After all, those new tidbits about the world we love and characters we grew up with are the biggest lure of the site, right? Wink

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ayt. So Pottermore opened big with new notes from JK in the first four chapters alone.
Here are a few of the topics I remembered:

- Privet Drive
- Dursleys (Vernon and Petunia)
- Measurement

Feel free to add if you found more but for order's sake, let's limit it to info from Chapters 1-4.
I'll open a separate thread for the other chapters.

Enjoy!

New Material: SS Chapters 1-4 (SPOILERS) 909172
lianne
lianne
Admissions and Alumni Officer

Back to top Go down

New Material: SS Chapters 1-4 (SPOILERS) Empty Re: New Material: SS Chapters 1-4 (SPOILERS)

Post by theinkedquill 2011-09-07, 23:14

I loved the notes on Measurements, and the one on Clothing! Very Happy

It makes sense, having read the said notes, that the magical community preferred- or shall I say, prefers to stick to the old ways rather than embrace the changes introduced by Muggles.

The use of the so-called imperial system of measurement lends more mystique to the world of Harry Potter, in my opinion. If the metric system were employed, it might not only appear scientific/sci-fi-esque but also... simply wrong. The whole story deals with magic/fantasy, after all.

As to their manner of dress, I think that other than preference for wizard clothing being "seen as a clinging to old ways and old times," it's also a way for witches and wizards to preserve an identity that is distinguishable from Muggles. I mean, they have had to adhere to the International Statute of Secrecy ever since it was enacted, hiding themselves away or in plain sight. Perhaps the magical community's sense of fashion is but one way to, shall we say, reassert themselves in a larger world dominated by Muggles. The same thing goes for their preferred system of measurement.

Just my two Knuts' worth.
theinkedquill
theinkedquill
Feasting in the Great Hall

http://latentshutterbug.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

New Material: SS Chapters 1-4 (SPOILERS) Empty Re: New Material: SS Chapters 1-4 (SPOILERS)

Post by raine07 2011-09-07, 23:26

I must add the Ghost Plots on Chapter 4. I love how JKR came to develop the storylines of the other characters. Mas madami pa tayong nalaman tungkol sa nakaraan nila at mga pangyayaring hindi natin inaashan na meron pa lang ganun na nangyari. Parang ginawang buhay ni JKR ang mga characters niya.
raine07
raine07
Playing Hide and Seek with the Venomous Tentacula in the Greenhouse

https://www.facebook.com/rainecaphriel

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne 2011-09-07, 23:31

I enjoyed that bit of info about the metric system as well. Never really given it much thought before but I agree with you. Changing it to metric would have been wrong. I'm glad JK put her put down on that one.

Hmm...I think 'clothing' was revealed in Chapter 5. Wink

I have a question about the Dursleys. JK said that Petunia got engaged when Lily was in her final year at Hogwarts. So if Lily was 17 at the time, I'm wondering how old Petunia was. Was she a lot older than Lily? DH Part 2 definitely showed a much older Petunia. I wonder if JK had a hand in that.

New Material: SS Chapters 1-4 (SPOILERS) 909172
lianne
lianne

Back to top Go down

Post by loonyphy 2011-09-07, 23:39

I searched the harry potter wiki. There's no exact date when Petunia was born. It just said there prior to 1959. Lily was born on 1960. We could assume that perhaps, Petunia is 2-4 years older than her. When I watched the DH 2 and saw the younger versions, I think that Petunia is not really that old. Just a matter of 2-4 year difference to Lily's age. Smile
loonyphy
loonyphy
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by loonyphy 2011-09-07, 23:42

Am I the only one experiencing "no edit button" here?

I would like to correct what I wrote above. It's supposed to be.. "In or prior to 1959."
loonyphy
loonyphy

Back to top Go down

Post by raine07 2011-09-07, 23:47

OT: loonyphy, I can't see the the edit button, either. I've been wondering if the admins changed something in the forums.
raine07
raine07
Playing Hide and Seek with the Venomous Tentacula in the Greenhouse

https://www.facebook.com/rainecaphriel

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne 2011-09-08, 00:27

No edits guys. Try rereading before posting. Wink
I'll see what I can do about the settings.

Re Petunia: so they really do marry young? Well, relatively I guess. If Petunia and Lily are about 3-4 years apart in age, then Petunia would have been 20-21yo...hmm...I guess pwede na. LOL
lianne
lianne

Back to top Go down

Post by elletoxicity 2011-09-08, 00:59

^and Lily had Harry when she was around 19-20 years old. Hala, I now wonder how witches experience labor and delivery and if it is much easier (Merope Gaunt died after delivering Tom Riddle, though) because when I assist in labor and delivery of moms around that age in Muggle world, sobrang pati ako nahihirapan para sa kanila.

elletoxicity

Back to top Go down

Post by loonyphy 2011-09-08, 12:35

Yep. We could say that. I don't think age matters to them. After all, they have already finished schooling and as long as they can support their family. And let's also consider their so-called "maturity age", in the Wizarding world, their maturity age is 17 yrs. old. much younger than any other muggle version. So them marrying at the age of 18 or so is just perfectly fine.
loonyphy
loonyphy

Back to top Go down

Post by theinkedquill 2011-09-08, 15:11

lianne wrote:Hmm...I think 'clothing' was revealed in Chapter 5. Wink
My apologies for that. Embarassed May I repost my reply under the appropriate topic?

Re: Vernon & Petunia Dursley -

I don't think I'll quite understand what Petunia saw in Vernon, apart from his - to borrow Jo's words - delicious normalcy. *shudders* I have to hand it to him, though, for choosing to stick with Petunia even after she told him about her sister. Doing otherwise might have saved him from quite an amount of, er, trouble later on.

I can well imagine how the Dursleys' first meeting with James Potter went. Sitting around a table for four, Vernon (and presumably Petunia both) dressed to impress, Lily whispering a few reminders in James' ear before finally approaching the table... Sorry, getting carried away here. Razz

Re: Ghost Plots -

It's amazing - and not to mention staggering - to think that there is so much detail behind the entire Potterverse. Everyone and everything seems to have some sort of backstory - there must be enough to fill more than a few books.

Having said that, I'm glad Jo decided to share the information on Pottermore. At the very least, we wouldn't have to shell out more Galleons for new books. (That may be a point of contention, though - having an actual book to read as compared to having all this info accessible online.) Very Happy
theinkedquill
theinkedquill

http://latentshutterbug.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Alizarine Agarlasse 2011-09-14, 15:24

Petunia's back story was cool. True that she might be so jealous of her sister, but that's expected from someone who saw a sort of "inferiority" within herself, who saw her sister having unusual powers, and less favored by their parents. I think she deluded herself in the delight of "her own" - her muggle-ness, the lack of magical ability as her own "good quality".

It's cool to see the human-ness of Petunia's character. ^_^
Alizarine Agarlasse
Alizarine Agarlasse

https://www.facebook.com/alizarine

Back to top Go down

Post by Alizarine Agarlasse 2011-09-14, 15:26

Sorry for the double post (edit button still invisible XD)...

..."is the one less favored by her parents" to correct my post above XD
Alizarine Agarlasse
Alizarine Agarlasse

https://www.facebook.com/alizarine

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaylene St. James 2011-09-15, 01:11

I love the Ghost Plots, the back stories just makes me want to read more about everyone in Hogwarts. I did not expect how much thought, ideas and control she exudes when writing the story.
Jaylene St. James
Jaylene St. James
Just got off the Hogwarts Express

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down