Hogwarts Philippines
Hogwarts Philippines has moved to a new home! Update your links! http://pinoyharrypotter.org/forum

[Spoilers] Official DH1 Movie Discussion Thread

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: [Spoilers] Official DH1 Movie Discussion Thread

Post by yvaine on 2010-11-24, 12:09

^
^

Yan din yung point ni Gary when we were discussing the movie. It's as if there was no arc that can be resolved for the first part, and wala daw masyadong significant growth sa character ni Harry.

I think they should have taken the story arc into account when they split the movie. Parang case din yan ng books eh. Take the Percy Jackson series. 5 books yun, but the arc for each book is resolved, despite the overall arc remaining a mystery. Well, in DH's case, one book lang sya, pero pwede naman nila i-treat siguro na separate if Kloves thought it out well.

Like a Star @ heaven

Last edited by yvaine on 2010-11-24, 12:13; edited 1 time in total
yvaine
Deputy Headmistress / Gryffindor Head of House

http://hogwartsphils.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne on 2010-11-24, 12:12

Hmmm...if that's going to be our stand, then my next thought would be, they shouldn't have split the movie into two. They could have just made a 3-31/2hr movie or something. LOL

Kasi feel ko, it's hard to make two movies out of one book without some subplots being purposely left hanging. Hmm...well, the shard of glass, they could have at least explained that it came from Sirius's mirror...but they wouldn't be able to explain its relationship to Dobby's sudden appearance in the Malfoy Manor without revealing Abeforth as a character.

Oh wait! Daf, didn't WB already said that yes, money was also a factor in splitting the movie? Hehe Very Happy Someone said something along the lines of they being a hypocrite if they denied it. But of course they insist that they also want to do the book justice.

queen
lianne
Admissions and Alumni Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-24, 12:17

@Yvaine
Exactly! While there was a clear beginning, middle and end in DH 1.0, hindi nakita yung resolution nung given plot arc. And yes, I agree with Gary na hindi nga nakita yung significant growth ng Hero.

Speaking of Harry, while I laud the acting chops of Emma Watson in this film (finally!), I think it's also due to the fact that she has an extensive screen time in this movie. That's fine with me, really. But what I find troublesome is the fact that DH 1.0, prior to showing the title of the movie on the screen, opened with her and ended with her walking towards the end of the street (and then, fade in: title of the movie). It greatly emphasized her story, as if she had the greatest sacrifice among the trio (Harry's opening salvo was 2nd, Ron's was 3rd). Don't get me wrong, I super mega love the scene of Hermione with her parents, but in terms of sequence, I think it could have been edited a lot better. As this is Harry's journey, it must always begin with the hero. We see the story from his perspective anyway.

My simple rule when it comes to evaluating the narrative: if more than 2 people asked about a significant detail in the movie, it isn't because they're too clueless about the plot (or were not paying attention). It is quite possible that it is the problem inherent in the storytelling itself. As in most of our cases with non-fans, madaming nagtatanong about that glass thing (at iba pa). So I suppose may weakness talaga sa pagk kwento ni Kloves at sa direction ni Yates.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne on 2010-11-24, 12:25

Ron's sacrifice was actually only explored during their travels.
Everything from him listening to the radio, to the whole argument between him and Harry was to emphasize how much he was hurting for the family he left behind.

There's this line in the book which I wished they retained in the movie. When Ron was challenging Hermione to go with him after the big fight, Hermione was supposed to argue with Ron that they promised that they'll help Harry find the horcruxes, that they'll stay (which is the point of all their sacrifices). But they way they made it out in the film, it's like Hermione was torn between two lovers! LOL Ok fine, hindi naman ganun. But the implication was, Hermione preferred to stay because it was Harry and not because they had a mission to accomplish.
lianne

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-11-24, 12:28

^
^

Feeling ko na-hamper kasi si Kloves ng kakaisip na he needs to stick to Canon as close as possible so that he can include all the plot points. But he should have planned this as early as HBP. Sa HBP kasi maraming lumabas na eklavu, like the horcruxes. So he could've planned the story arc for HBP and the 2 DHs since then, nailabas na naman ang DH book nun eh.

Masaya isipin ngayon kung paano ang mas magandang plotting ng 2 parts. Mwehehe.

Like a Star @ heaven

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by khaye007 on 2010-11-24, 12:33

lianne wrote:...Oh wait! Daf, didn't WB already said that yes, money was also a factor in splitting the movie? Hehe Very Happy Someone said something along the lines of they being a hypocrite if they denied it. But of course they insist that they also want to do the book justice.

queen
I read the same thing somewhere. They have the same reason with Breaking Dawn in splitting the movie into two. Money talks.
khaye007
Sleeping in Prof. Binns' History of Magic Class

http://toasted-blog.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-24, 12:37

^
^
@yvaine: Mismo. Yan din ang iniisip ko kagabi. Since nung pre prod pa lang ng HBP alam na naman ng lahat that he will also be at the helm of DH 1 and 2, dapat nagkaroon ng foresight. Hindi piece meal ang planning. They should've gone beyond the literal divisions in the canon. Kasi the last book by itself is problematic na. Hindi na dapat nila tinularan.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-11-24, 12:44

^
^

Uy, interesting yung tungkol sa divisions in Canon.

Pwede actually nila i-end yung HBP a little bit into DH, like maybe when Herm and Harry say goodbye to their Muggle lives. Or maybe somewhere else more convenient to the narrative.

Iniisip ko din, they don't have to deviate from Canon much to really make it feel like an arc was resolved, or that there was growth for Harry. Konting enhancements lang sa dialogue and re-arranging of scenes, I think kakayanin.

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-24, 13:00

^yeah, pwedeng pwede yun. Or pwedeng na introduce na din yung bag ni Hermione (see Stephen King's comment about that beaded bag, hahahaha). Pati yung glass. In fact, I'm thinking if it's possible na instead of that broken glass, iba yung item na ginamit. Something already cinematically introduced to the viewers. Kasi the main function of that glass is connection with Aberforth right? To allow him to send Dobby and be updated of their whereabouts so he can also help them back to Hogwarts. I think a little more planning and on this one would have greatly improved the storytelling.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-11-24, 13:18

^
^

Ano ang comment ni Stephen King? Papost naman ng link. Should be fun. Hehe.

Re: the glass-- yeah, yung ang main purpose nya. They probably could've used Kreacher in the Malfoy Manor situation, since he answers to Harry, and House Elf loyalty is beyond other forms of magic. So he can apparate in Malfoy Manor to help. Then pwedeng he can't help Harry himself since he still has residual loyalty to the Blacks, then he sends Dobby instead. After that, si Aberforth na lang ang problema. Hahaha!

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-24, 13:46

^Actually it's not specifically on the beaded bag (mea culpa), but on the idea of it, the Robinson Crusoe syndrome he called it. His review of the novel here.

Sa kin lang, kung ganun ka powerful yung bag, dapat dun na lang itinago si Harry, hahahaha!

But seriously, I'm warm to your Kreacher concept. I like it! Magkakaroon ng visual struggle on the part of the elf which we've never really seen before.

As for Aberforth, buti na lang naipakita na siya sa HBP. Although sayang wala siyang speaking line. . . .
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-11-24, 14:35

^
^

I reread the part about Aberforth, and I think they could've done without the mirror na if they dealt with the Dobby situation some other way... like the Kreacher way. Hehe. Kasi wala na namang silbi yung mirror eh. And I don't think they'll devote that much time to Aberforth and his explanations in the movie anyway.

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-24, 18:30

^Tama ka diyan. Kasi Aberforth is only instrumental to the Headmaster's backstory. NOT to the hero's journey. Pwedeng wala na siya. The whole thing with Kendra and the sister and the argument----very minor things compared with the greater significance of the horcruxes and the hallows. Eh yung combo na nga lang nung H & H too much info na in one book, dagdagan pa ng sangkatutak na backstory (Albus, Severus, the Peverells, Grindelwald, Gregorovitch, etc). Kalerky! Impossible to put everything cinematically. So yeah, they could've easily done away with that.

In fact, a colleague way back in 2003 ba yun (ano ba yung year of publication ng OotP?) said she thought the glass was superfluous to the narrative. Hindi naman nagamit ni Harry eh. She likened the item to a new gadget to be used by James Bond. Everytime Q (the gadgets guy) introduces a new gadget to 007, that item will play a role in the narrative. Hindi pwedeng hindi gamitin.

I think I have a few more observations pa about DH. Hanapin ko muna yung notes ko Laughing
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by tiffy on 2010-11-24, 18:37

DADAProfAE wrote:Another thing that I think was problematic in this film is the broken piece of glass that Harry kept with him all throughout. While we readers were already made familiar with it courtesy of the 5th book, viewers without prior knowledge of what happened in the 5th novel will not be able to understand the context of that item. There was no filmic introduction prior to this movie, hence, the glass became something like a deus ex machina in the narrative. It saved Harry and company in the end, but the said item had no prior foundation in the entire cinematic narrative.

oh now i get it... my mistake. yun glass yun nag served as deus ex machina at hindi si dobby. hmm... now that you mentioned it, maybe they'll explain it on the DH part 2? mapipilitan manood yun mga tao ng part 2 if it won't make them read the book...
tiffy
Feasting in the Great Hall

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-11-25, 09:06

DADAProfAE wrote:^Tama ka diyan. Kasi Aberforth is only instrumental to the Headmaster's backstory. NOT to the hero's journey. Pwedeng wala na siya. The whole thing with Kendra and the sister and the argument----very minor things compared with the greater significance of the horcruxes and the hallows. Eh yung combo na nga lang nung H & H too much info na in one book, dagdagan pa ng sangkatutak na backstory (Albus, Severus, the Peverells, Grindelwald, Gregorovitch, etc). Kalerky! Impossible to put everything cinematically. So yeah, they could've easily done away with that.

Ayun, good point! Dapat Kloves plotted things out based on Harry's journey, and then weeded out the extra plot threads that don't contribute to it, or that don't affect it. Para yung mga extras ang magiging cool discovery ng mga tao who will transition from the movies to the books.

Hrmmm. Tingin ko if Kloves planned this well talaga, it would've worked out. Maybe he can leave Albus' backstory na now that they're done with the Grindelwald thread, though malamang they'll still bring up Kendra what with the portrait and all. But boy, that part will drag kung may flashbacks pa dun. Now, if they do an Albus flashback and they still skip the Severus story, nakuuuuuu... Evil or Very Mad

I wonder if the non-book readers got the whole Gregorovitch and Ollivander thread just fine.

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-26, 08:15

They cannot skip the Severus story! Magwawala ang mga fans all over the world, that's for sure. That's what made the last few chapters of the novel significant eh, with Harry realizing the truth about his former teacher. And that information gave him the necessary illumination to face Voldemort in the final battle.

May problema ako dun sa mga scenes ni Harry channeling Voldy with Gregorovitch and Ollivander. Hindi ba dapat parang PoV ni Harry yun, parang sa OotP (see Harry "seeing" the Mr. Weasley attack by himself/Nagini)? Pero the way it was shot here in DH, 3rd person perspective, as in Harry seeing not what Voldy sees but seeing Voldy himself with the other characters. So lumabas sya sa perspective ni V. Hmmm. . . .
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-11-26, 08:21

DADAProfAE wrote:May problema ako dun sa mga scenes ni Harry channeling Voldy with Gregorovitch and Ollivander. Hindi ba dapat parang PoV ni Harry yun, parang sa OotP (see Harry "seeing" the Mr. Weasley attack by himself/Nagini)? Pero the way it was shot here in DH, 3rd person perspective, as in Harry seeing not what Voldy sees but seeing Voldy himself with the other characters. So lumabas sya sa perspective ni V. Hmmm. . . .

Yup, parang dapat POV ni Voldy. But I guess they thought it will confuse the non-book readers even more?

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-26, 08:25

The main problem of the filmmakers talaga is inconsistency. Inconsistent sila vis-a-vis the previous films, tapos inconsistent din sila kung gusto ba nilang ma confuse ang mga non-book readers o hindi. Kasi as it, madami na talagang na confuse.

So ang siste, pati ako confused na din kung ano ba talaga ang narrative objective ng mga filmmakers, hahahaha. Shocked
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-11-26, 08:32

^
^

Ahahaha! Hay naku. Well, the least they could have done is be consistent ever since Yates came on board, and ever since Kloves came back, but... no. Razz

Tingin ko sakit na yan ng mahabang series eh. I think the reason why LotR succeeded in terms of consistency eh dahil they shot the whole thing as one continuous movie.

I think may bago na tayong babatukan kung ganyan ang problema: si David Heyman. Razz

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by karlmerc on 2010-11-27, 12:05

DADAProfAE wrote:Since this is a discussion thread, we are all entitled to our opinion. And in my opinion, the film didn't do the book justice. I am glad you enjoyed the film. As a hardcore fan myself, I rejoice everytime fans respond positively to an HP film. The thing is, I am more than a fan. Call it part of my job description.

You said you're a college student and that you know what "prerequisite" means. Good! I will not refute that. The thing is, I am a university professor so pardon me if I pull rank when it comes to prerequisites since I actually create the school subjects and the flowcharts myself Smile I also am a film critic, not to mention an American Cinema professor, so yes, I do know what Hollywood filmmaking is all about. Hollywood may be synonymous with "money-making capitalist machine," but that doesn't and shouldn't stop this Beast from creating critically-acclaimed movies. I'm sure you can mention a lot of Hollywood movies that would fall under that category.

Like it or not, there are some people who will watch the Deathly Hallows without having read nor seen the previous books/films. I myself was a witness to this fact last Friday at MoA's Director's Club block screening. During my scheduled lecture prior to the screening, a few audience members raised their hands when I asked them if there's anyone who hasn't seen or read the 6th Film/Book. So my friend, there is no such thing as a prerequisite when it comes to movie-watching. Like it or not, not everyone in the planet is a Harry Potter fan like us.

And yes, I do know what film adaptation means. Again, as I mentioned in my previous post, I am not trying to compare the book and the film adaptation. That would be so pedestrian of me. What I am after is clarity in the adaptation. I don't mind the filmmakers removing stuff from the books, in fact most of the time, I welcome it. And I definitely don't mind when they make some changes if it is for the sake of the film's narrative. The thing with this installment is, I think they removed things with impunity; without thinking of continuity which, in my opinion, weakened the very same narrative it wishes to convey.

I do love Harry Potter. Ask around. I don't think you will ever find a member here who will say otherwise. That's the common thread that binds us here. I do know you're a new member here, so let me be the first to welcome you here at Hogwarts Philippines. Welcome! Please enjoy your stay. Smile But the thing is, as a community, we do value each other's thoughts and opinion about anything. And if you see me posting comments about either the books or the films that may not exactly be favorable, let it be known that I do it out of love for the books, like you do. The only difference perhaps is, I don't mind it if people disagree with me. That is the hallmark of having an open-mind, I think. And as an educator, that is something I highly value.

Cheers!

I apologize for this one-week-late reply. I'm so busy a student. Smile

I understand that some moviegoers won't bother seeing the so-called "prerequisites." These are people who see movies only for the sake of entertainment or pastime, but then again, even with very good choice of scenes and good direction, the film can hardly stand on its own because it's part of a series and not an independent episode. I could not have understood what was going on in the Two Towers if I haven't seen the Fellowship. That is why for those people who are not fans, satisfaction is, most of the time, not guaranteed. A non-fan mustn't blame anyone, not even the director and the producer, if he watched HP7 and got confused.

I'm not a professional film critic. I'm just a humble, shallow-hearted moviegoer and reader who is easily pleased and doesn't ask too much. HP7 Part 1 film was too much that is why I was really overwhelmed, I was even running out of adjectives to describe it; the novel was portrayed exactly the way I imagined it and the more mature scenes added more colors to it.

That's my opinion and I respect everyone's.
karlmerc
Just got off the Hogwarts Express

http://www.facebook.com/karlmerc

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-27, 12:11

yvaine wrote:^
^

Ahahaha! Hay naku. Well, the least they could have done is be consistent ever since Yates came on board, and ever since Kloves came back, but... no. Razz

Tingin ko sakit na yan ng mahabang series eh. I think the reason why LotR succeeded in terms of consistency eh dahil they shot the whole thing as one continuous movie.

I think may bago na tayong babatukan kung ganyan ang problema: si David Heyman. Razz

Yeah. Well my problem with Yates is quite similar with my problem with Columbus. The direction is quite rote, very mechanical.

As for Heyman, indeed! Kasi as producer he is one of the gatekeepers of continuity. Dapat may foresight din siya. Hmm. . . .
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by AmandaBlue on 2010-11-27, 17:37

yvaine wrote:
AmandaBlue wrote:Yes, I like that scene. Nakaka-touch Smile Although, yung kasama naming non-HP fan, he turned to me and said, "Yan ba ang best friend??" Suspect

Oo naman, noh! Mas bestfriend naman yun kesa sa Dance Scene! Razz Razz Razz

Like a Star @ heaven

That's what I said too! Laughing

hermyohnee wrote:Also, am i the only one who's disappointed with how kreacher looks? parang it's different kasi from what i imagined eh (which is based from rowling's description). I dunno.

It's OK for me naman, although I did notice na iba na yung animation nila for the house elves. What a difference 3 years can make in terms of technology. Parang mas realistic for me tignan yung mga elves this time around. Smile
AmandaBlue
Being Interrogated About Bezoars

http://www.facebook.com/amandablueRN

Back to top Go down

Post by allanwhistletop on 2010-11-27, 18:19

AmandaBlue wrote:It's OK for me naman, although I did notice na iba na yung animation nila for the house elves. What a difference 3 years can make in terms of technology. Parang mas realistic for me tignan yung mga elves this time around. Smile

OO, super agree... as in pag close up kay Kreacher, akala mo parang may elf talaga sa real world
allanwhistletop
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-28, 09:30

RE: the Dance Scene

I really didn't mind in that much. Perhaps for some shippers of certain persuasion that was highly acceptable, and for some it wasn't. As I'm not a shipper of any kind, my take on it was that it was acceptable. It gave us something unexpected as it was not in the book (always a good thing). I think what saved it from being "too much" was Dan's awkward dancing. The guy obviously is no Will Smith when it comes to the dance floor. So that was a good thing for that scene. If Dan had been smooth, I'd say the scene will be totally unacceptable. His two left feet added to the lightheartedness of the scene instead of it being "shippery" if you know what I mean. So no harm done. In fact it shows how Harry being the hero and a perfect gentleman is willing to look foolish just to amuse his friend who at that moment was not functioning in full spirits. While Harry lost a best friend in Ron, Hermione lost a beloved.

RE: the torrid kissing scene.

I didn't mind it, really. Again, as it was not in the book, viewers were caught by surprise. It was a affraid moment. But that was precisely what was needed in the scene. The narrative calls for Ron's most intense, most private fears, and that moment captured it well, I think.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pomping on 2010-11-29, 16:05

@DADAProfAE

The kissing wasn't in the book? I think I read something along the lines of "Harry's and Hermione's lips touched..." well, I guess I have to read the book again, then.
Pomping

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-29, 16:37

^Ah indeed, my mistake. I should've said the nudity part was not in the book but was in the film adaptation.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pomping on 2010-11-29, 17:29

@DADAProfAE

I was looking forward to the kissing in the movie, and I didn't expect Harry and Hermione to be standing there with nothing on except some kind of silver paint on. xD Besides, I liked the naked part. It made it more exciting than just kissing. xDD
Pomping

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-29, 17:47

^Not so much exciting for me (I was more looking forward to the "The Ministry has fallen" scene to be one of the most exciting in this first installment of DH than the Ron with the Horcrux scene), but kind of tragic from Ron's perspective. Crying or Very sad So I guess that unexpected scene really worked well within the narrative. Not just for shock value but to exacerbate the fears of Ron.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pomping on 2010-11-29, 17:58

I was looking forward to Dudley telling Harry that he wasn't a waste of space! And the taboo-ing of Voldemort's name. It wasn't there. Sad And the Potterwatch, too! And Harry's huge Snitch birthday cake, and his and the minister's argument. T_T
Pomping

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-29, 18:43

^Actually, the taboo was there; it just wasn't thoroughly explained. In the cafe right after the wedding, it was Hermione who said the Dark Lord's name, and then after that we saw the arrival of the two Death Eaters. And then during the camping scenes, Harry kept saying "You-Know-Who" (though I must say that was unexpected since Harry never had a difficult time saying the Dark Lord's name before). And then at the Lovegood's house, right after Xeno mentioned the name, the Death Eaters arrived. I'm just not sure if this will be explained in great detail in part 2.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pomping on 2010-11-29, 19:21

It was Ron who explained it. I would have loved it if they did the Potterwatch. Sad And where Harry pisses Lupin off.
Pomping

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-11-29, 20:45

^Well, for narrative's sake, some lines do get shuffled as we've learned in the previous Potter movies. Who says what in the books don't really matter much on celluloid since the foremost objective is to move the narrative forward. I didn't mind the dialogue shuffling in this case. As for the Potterwatch, I'm okay with it not being there. It was significant in the book, yes, but cinematically, hearing the news on the wizard radio was sufficient in this adaptation, I think.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by Pomping on 2010-11-29, 21:35

Yeah well, it was just the build up. I wanna see the war. 8D And where Neville beheads Nagini. Twisted Evil
Pomping

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne on 2010-11-30, 21:32

After my 5th screening...

1) I just want to point this out: JK revealed after the release of DH the book that it was Dolohov who killed Lupin. Wouldn't it be a great throw back to Part 1 if in Part 2, they show that Dolohov indeed ends Lupin's life? Especially since the trio decided to spare his life and just erase his memories? Whadyatink?

2) Bro Echo and I noticed this: at the Malfoy Manor, when Bella was insulting Griphook, a strand of hair floated towards Hermione, just before the camera focused on the 'mudblood' carving on her arm. Could this be Bella's hair which the trio will use for the polyjuice potion caper at Gringott's?

lianne

Back to top Go down

Post by allanwhistletop on 2010-11-30, 22:03

lianne wrote:

2) Bro Echo and I noticed this: at the Malfoy Manor, when Bella was insulting Griphook, a strand of hair floated towards Hermione, just before the camera focused on the 'mudblood' carving on her arm. Could this be Bella's hair which the trio will use for the polyjuice potion caper at Gringott's?

When the camera focused on the Xeno's necklace as an important plot point, perhaps, I think so too...
allanwhistletop
Sitting in Agony in Snape's Potions Class

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-12-01, 09:01

LIANNE: Re: Bella's hair -- yeah, di ko pala yun na-call-out sa yo nung IMAX. hehe. Kita ko na yun agad nung first screening. They're setting up the Polyjuice thing.

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-12-02, 16:14

I got to talk to two colleagues this morning and they told me they found the film boring. Thing is, these two are HP fans themselves, readers and film fans as well. One said she was confused with the film she had to go back to the book just to check some stuff for herself. Oh well. Told them not to fret because they are not alone in disappointment.

I could really use a three hour film discussion at this point Laughing My arguments spring eternal, I guess cyclops
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by karlmerc on 2010-12-03, 11:07

DADAProfAE wrote:I got to talk to two colleagues this morning and they told me they found the film boring. Thing is, these two are HP fans themselves, readers and film fans as well. One said she was confused with the film she had to go back to the book just to check some stuff for herself. Oh well. Told them not to fret because they are not alone in disappointment.

I could really use a three hour film discussion at this point Laughing My arguments spring eternal, I guess cyclops

Maybe. But I'm going with the crowd because that's just how I feel. Statistics shows that about 9 out of 10 who saw it loved it! Even Rowling herself. She has stated that this is her favorite, so far. I couldn't agree more. But then again, this is a matter of personal taste. Very Happy
karlmerc

http://www.facebook.com/karlmerc

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-12-03, 11:51

The gentleman doth protest too much.

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-12-03, 12:12

karlmerc wrote:
DADAProfAE wrote:I got to talk to two colleagues this morning and they told me they found the film boring. Thing is, these two are HP fans themselves, readers and film fans as well. One said she was confused with the film she had to go back to the book just to check some stuff for herself. Oh well. Told them not to fret because they are not alone in disappointment.

Maybe. But I'm going with the crowd because that's just how I feel. Statistics shows that about 9 out of 10 who saw it loved it! Even Rowling herself. She has stated that this is her favorite, so far. I couldn't agree more. But then again, this is a matter of personal taste. Very Happy

And that was how my colleagues and I felt. Why do you always have to react to how I feel anyway? I don't really go for statistics. To go for statistics, or in your own words, to "go with the crowd", to go with the herd doesn't bode well with my critical thinking faculties. I value my personal judgment very much. I don't care if Rowling herself loved the movie. That's her call. I think she'd greatly admire a person who knows how to think for herself than somebody who'd simply like something simply because Rowling loved it. I have my own opinion of the movie, and for me, that's what matters the most. If 9 out of 10 loved it (says who anyway?), then I am just glad I'm the lone 1 of the 10 who had the temerity to go against common taste.

Anyway, why are you so hung up with MY opinion of the movie? I have stated, practically point by point the reasons why I don't think this film merits a full 7/7 rating in my book, but all you've been doing is piggy-backing on MY posts. You don't have to react to everything that I say. Or maybe you think what I say has full value that's why you've been protesting too much?

I digress. To continue with the film discussion. . .

I've been thinking lately if it would have been better if the film included the Gringotts scene (plus escaping with the dragon) in part 1 instead of ending with just one horcrux (the locket) being destroyed. There are too many horcruxes to go around (not to mention Hallows) with the last installment anyway so to have Harry and the two friends flying with the dragon would have been a triumphant ending vis-a-vis the triumphant acquisition of the Elder Wand by the Dark Lord. Would've been an interesting contrast, methinks.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by yvaine on 2010-12-03, 12:24

DADAProfAE wrote:I've been thinking lately if it would have been better if the film included the Gringotts scene (plus escaping with the dragon) in part 1 instead of ending with just one horcrux (the locket) being destroyed. There are too many horcruxes to go around (not to mention Hallows) with the last installment anyway so to have Harry and the two friends flying with the dragon would have been a triumphant ending vis-a-vis the triumphant acquisition of the Elder Wand by the Dark Lord. Would've been an interesting contrast, methinks.

Ooh, hey, that could work. And if they took out all the useless stuff in Part 1, they could've accommodated this, and in addition, we would've seen the much needed improvement in Harry as a hero, since this is when he really starts to take charge.

yvaine

Back to top Go down

Post by doc_ardyey on 2010-12-03, 19:31

SIRUISly am I that slow o talagang hindi lang siya nabigyan ng emphasis...

VOLDEMORT by Xenophilus Lovegood -> the taboo... oops pwede na naman ang spoiler diba?

promise and slow ko ata talaga...

and then... haays di ko pa rin talaga mapatch up ang sequence nung sa book sa movie...

but anyways still love the movie...

doc_ardyey
Lost in the castle hallways

http://www.quackpack.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-12-03, 19:47

doc_ardyey wrote:SIRUISly am I that slow o talagang hindi lang siya nabigyan ng emphasis...

VOLDEMORT by Xenophilus Lovegood -> the taboo... oops pwede na naman ang spoiler diba?

promise and slow ko ata talaga...

and then... haays di ko pa rin talaga mapatch up ang sequence nung sa book sa movie...

but anyways still love the movie...

I think that's a filmic problem talaga. Hindi kasi consistent ang mga filmic characters. In the movies, characters can freely utter the name of the Dark Lord---from Harry to Hermione to Ron to Neville to any common witch or wizard. Pagdating tuloy dito sa 7th installment, it's difficult to play catch up with the taboo. In the camping scene, out of the blue, Harry suddenly uses "you-know-who" when all throughout the series he shows us how bad-ass he is by using Voldemort's name all the time. So why the sudden change in him di ba? Plot-wise it worked (they had to be unplottable, so no mention of the name in vain), albeit contrived because there was no set-up for Harry to fear the name.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by pipeclay on 2010-12-03, 19:48

doc_ardyey wrote:VOLDEMORT by Xenophilus Lovegood -> the taboo... oops pwede na naman ang spoiler diba?
non-readers wouldn't get it.. hindi na-discuss ng trio yung about sa taboo din kasi.. personally, i like it better kung nilagay yun.. ang cool lang kasi.. pero ginawan na rin naman nila ng paraan sa movie.. they didn't catch harry, hermione and ron because of the taboo, so feeling ko, no harm done para sa non-readers (on that part lang ha)..

bounce
pipeclay
Taking Flying Lessons with Madam Hooch

http://www.iampipeclay.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-12-03, 19:51

pipeclay wrote:
doc_ardyey wrote:VOLDEMORT by Xenophilus Lovegood -> the taboo... oops pwede na naman ang spoiler diba?
non-readers wouldn't get it.. hindi na-discuss ng trio yung about sa taboo din kasi.. personally, i like it better kung nilagay yun.. ang cool lang kasi.. pero ginawan na rin naman nila ng paraan sa movie.. they didn't catch harry, hermione and ron because of the taboo, so feeling ko, no harm done para sa non-readers (on that part lang ha)..

bounce

Very true. I don't think it was reinforced eh, the taboo. The first time it happened, it was casually illustrated pa. Yung cafe scene immediately after the wedding, it was Hermione who mentioned V's name, and then we see the sudden arrival of the Death Eaters. And then as they walk away from it, they wondered about the possibility of the trace at work. But in the entire movie, tama ka, non-readers wouldn't get the nature of the taboo.
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by doc_ardyey on 2010-12-03, 19:52

pipeclay wrote:

bounce

yun nga eh... so parang gulong gulo din ako sa scene na yun... kasi paano sila nasundan nina Scabior like they were really waiting for them in the forest...

questions in my little lion brain

doc_ardyey
Lost in the castle hallways

http://www.quackpack.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jerrichor on 2010-12-03, 22:35

doc_ardyey wrote:yun nga eh... so parang gulong gulo din ako sa scene na yun... kasi paano sila nasundan nina Scabior like they were really waiting for them in the forest...

Remember Hermione tying her scarf around a tree when Ron left them? That was the same place where they were caught by the Snatchers...

I think Scabior picked up on Hermione's scent/perfume kaya sila nahuli... we can see Scabior wearing her scarf.

farao
jerrichor
Gryffindor Prefect

http://www.plurk.com/jerrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne on 2010-12-03, 22:53

jerrichor wrote:
doc_ardyey wrote:yun nga eh... so parang gulong gulo din ako sa scene na yun... kasi paano sila nasundan nina Scabior like they were really waiting for them in the forest...

Remember Hermione tying her scarf around a tree when Ron left them? That was the same place where they were caught by the Snatchers...

I think Scabior picked up on Hermione's scent/perfume kaya sila nahuli...

farao

Yup, I agree with brother here.
The ones who attacked them at the Lovegoods' were Death Eaters.
The ones who caught them were Snatchers.
The Snatchers were there at the same time just by chance. Scabior followed Hermione's scent there. What's interesting is, why'd they (the trio) come back to that place.

As for the taboo, it's something they can easily tie up in Part 2. But with all the goings on, they might just leave it a mystery. I can't remember if movie characters call Voldy by his name or by you-know-who. But I do remember that Hermione made an effort of saying 'Voldermort' at Hogs Head in OotP during the first DA meeting. It was as if she's been saying you-know-who all along and just finally came out and became brave and said Voldy out loud. I think they've tried placing the Voldy or you-know-who drama in the movies, it's just that they haven't explained it beyond Hagrid's hasty statement in SS and Hermione's, "Fear of a name..." comment in CoS.

lianne

Back to top Go down

Post by DADAProfAE on 2010-12-03, 23:05

In relation to the taboo, a student asked me a good question last meeting. Why would Hermione in the movies have a difficult time mentioning the Dark Lord's name? She was muggle-born so she wouldn't have that fear instilled in her upon birth by her muggle parents. My immediate response was that it was perhaps a result of being in the constant company of Ron, a pureblood, who obviously had the fear of the name instilled in him upon birth. Weak argument from me, I must admit Smile For even if Hermione has read all the nasty things about the Dark Lord, fear is something that is acquired through learned experience. And Hermione is one brave girl to boot.

I think what the novels did to set up the taboo was a two-way thing. It doesn't just involve the difficulty of saying the name out loud but also how people would react once they hear somebody mention the name in vain. Neville practically faints; others fall off their chairs or throw a fit. In the movies, it's all in passing. So this is kind of tricky to execute by Film 7, I think.

There were other characters who did mention the name prior to Film 7 but narrative-wise it worked: Sirius and Lupin, for example. I do prefer the Headmaster calling him by his childhood name though Smile
DADAProfAE
Auror Extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by lianne on 2011-04-03, 14:02

DADAProfAE wrote:In relation to the taboo, a student asked me a good question last meeting. Why would Hermione in the movies have a difficult time mentioning the Dark Lord's name? She was muggle-born so she wouldn't have that fear instilled in her upon birth by her muggle parents.

I think we can finally answer this satisfactorily. Smile

Here are a couple of deleted scenes which came out recently. I really don't think these are considered SPOILERS anymore but anyhoo, be warned.

- While I wished the Petunia/Dudley scenes were included, I'm willing to forgive the deletion
- Wish they retained the horcrux talk
- Now we know why Hermione was goin' around sayin' you-know-who. If I'm not mistaken, the tent scene was right after the ministry scenes.

What do you guys think?

lianne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top